• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Milage Limit

Re: f

LoneWolf TN said:
CB - also, Bear Reports, Accident Reports, Deer Reports, Traffic Reports, Pedestrian Walking Reports and the list goes on. Oh ya, don't forget us cb'rs that run a wee bit 'o illegal power with them thar illegal radios and amps and talk NationWide... :LOL:

LoneWolf TN

What do you do when the bottom drops out of 27-28 Mhz and there IS no "skip"? :D "Them thar" hams cover 3 states with cigarette-sized handhelds and talk to the Space Station with 2 watts! :D Slightly farther than "Nationwide". (I'm pokin' ya in the ribs a little) :p :p

CWM

To answer some of the questions posed, the thing to do is not to get onto me. Get the laws changed thru legal means. And ARRL gets too much credit for stopping the relaxation of the 155 mile rule. Getting the Land Mobile rules "changed" isn't as easy as it might sound. But go fer it! :D

The legal argument that would be thrown at you is, CB is not for hobby use (tho it is used that way), and Amateur Radio is for DX, power, VFO's, contests, ragchews and the Century Club. Right back to square one! If you want the privilege of working DX, then study and take the tests. You will have earned said privilege to do all those things that aren't legally allowed on CB. THAT would be one of the things you would hear in an attempt to codify CB as a hobby. Actually, it would be more of a problem to juggle the Land Mobile laws to make CB a "hobby" than any other consideration. :roll:

CWM

Reactions: Tallman
f

I hear ya. It's almost impossible to talk dx on 11 meters without power. I'm sure the possibilities are endless on the ham bands.

LoneWolf TN

I think the FCC created these restrictive rules for cb to try to create more interest in amatuer radio where its legal to run power and talk DX ( and spend a lot more $$ on radio equipment). :) I think thats the ARRLs reason to fight the distance increase, too.

Re: f

LoneWolf TN said:
I hear ya. It's almost impossible to talk dx on 11 meters without power.
Acutually LoneWolf, talking DX on 11 meters is really not that impossible even when using a low power station.

It's just the matter of having a good antenna installation and of course a good location. I sit here at just 30' above see level and do quite well taking around the world with just 18 watts.
--------------
DXman

Hey Jerry,once again the question,"What is the HARM of a legal powered 40 ch station talking DX?" No need to say "Because CB is not a hobby".That does not answer the question.

I'm not trying to get on your case but you seem to think the world will come to an end if CB'ers are allowed to DX but offer no reasons why there would be harm in allowing regular LEGAL CB's station to DX beyond the 155 mile limit.Ireally couldn'r cares less as I am hardly on 11m anymore but still think the 155 mile limit is ancient history that neds to be rewritten.

155 mile

i am not a expert or any thing and i use the free band and shoot skip studying for my ticket but as far as i can see the only harm it cause is it just adds more QRM to a all ready crowed area cause pepole to rapidly adjust there squelch knob and there claifiers . the rule it self is like old and out dated like no women outside after saied time not enforeced or practied but still on the books . just my 2 cents sorry about the grammmer .

they call me redneck6 am and z33ssb tx 76544

Oh my goodness! Here I have always told myself that CB was a hobby, I can't believe that I have been wrong all these years....Ha Ha Ha!

Well lets see now...I guess it started back in 1977, made my first contacts into Europe and there was a bunch of them and of course it was in the "freeband" area.
Whoopps, I guess I shouldn't of said that, oh well "Ce Qui Sera Sera" (what will be, will be).

CB can very well be a hobby, it's what any one wishes that they want to do, just like a Ham can make his radio communications a hobby also. It is a hobby for me and always will be.."so it is said so it is done"

Ha Ha Ha....155 mile range for CB!! Why don't the FCC inforce it? Well, they don't care anymore, right CWM?!

But please please CWM, don't give up, your thoughts and intentions are good........and the debute continues until 2010 and beyond!
------------------
DXman

CHARLEYMARBLES said:
CW the problem i have with getting my ticket is all the ham GODS that seam to be out there.If i had to listen to all that bs all the time i think i'd have to get fitted for a straightjacket ;) ;)

Get your ticket, there are alot of hams, some on here, that dont play that holier then thou crap on the air, we need new hams to push away the old farts that sit and complain "about the good ole days" Without the newbies,it wont change, look at me,,,,,,,,,I had a blast in Dayton, we shocked the hell out of Dayton this year,,,,,it was FUN!

QRN,
Thanks for reiterating my point. I'm not looking for the legal answers. It seems that every answer has to do with the legal aspect. I am not talking about an illegal radio setup but an FCC type accepted station.

DX

If you pose that question to Larry Brock. Field Engineer of FCC's Dallas Office, he would likely tell you the reason is one word. Interference. It is why the rule was initiated to start with--along with that bugaboo about CB as a hobby is against the law. In good conditions, thousands of CB stations with 4 watts would cause mayhem--and already DO! I've tried to answer as honestly and completely as I could with previous posts. I used analogies such as drag racing on public streets.
You can CALL anything a hobby based on one's own personal goals and perceptions. *YOU* may think "I can't see the harm in stoplight dragracing. It is YOUR hobby, right? There were a couple of guys some weeks ago that stoplight raced in my own town. *They* were in control. One driver lost control of his Camaro at around 75 MPH and spun into a line of innocent people at a Dairy Queen, injuring 5 or so people (lucky no one was killed!). He most certainly thought he was capable of handling the situation (racing) when he obviously couldn't). Likewise, while you, QRN, may see no harm in "skip talking", it does, in fact, cause harm to other users. Ever listen to that telltell howl and roar common to CB radio when the "skip" is in?
It doesn't even HAVE to be more than the 4 watt limit--4 watts
will make enough of that howl and roar as is! Now let's say we legalize it--OK!! It's OK now for you to talk over 155 miles. Folks that, perhaps, didn't do that before, now have a "new" hobby that replaces the legal venue for such activity. Now you double, triple, quadruple the number of stations out there yelling
"BREAK SKIPLAND!!!!!!!! AUDIOOOOOOOOOO, AUDIOOOOOOOO!
BREAK! THIS IS THE WAGGY DAWGY IN CENTRAL N'AWTH C'LINA, WE TRYIN', C'MON BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Then there is a the moral issue of the willingness of the people to obey the law that has ostensibly been put in place for good reason. At least, American citizens have the option of getting a law CHANGED thru their representatives. When *we* decide that there is no harm in doing something that *we* think isn't important, we are unknowingly going a slippery slide from which there is no returning. Let's say that one finds a bank bag containing $12000 and he KEEPS the bag and the money. The owner, discovering he has lost his life's savings because he put it on top of his car and it fell as he drove, returns home and embarks on a frantic search for this bag. Walking along the sidewalk (where he suspects it could've fallen), he steps into traffic and is struck and killed! He is a widower with no children, but leaves relatives in another town. YOU now have gained an advantage over this hapless, but now dead, person. Is it OK to keep this money and not turn it over to the authorities? Are you "hurting" anybody by keeping the money. Maybe the relatives are well off, maybe not. So what is the harm?

Likewise, as in the case of the "stolen" (that actually is what it is whether you rationalize it or not) money, you are creating harm in the form of interference to other radio users who may or may not hear you, but, in reality, that person could be trying to call his wife to get a wrecker to his stalled car (can't afford a cellphone). You, OTH, are not heaing the other station, but you are booming in on TOP of the stricken motorist and "stealing" his ability to summon help! To YOU it is a hobby, to the unfortunate driver, it is a TOOL (as it was intended to be) to get help. Betcha he is sitting there listening to you saying, "if I could find that guy with his "break skipland", I'd cram that radio right up"........................well, you get the idea! But that TOOL is useless to him. Now put the shoe on the other foot. Now it is YOU sitting out in the boonies with a dead cellphone battery and a stalled car, miles from nowhere. The guy that WAS broke down is now the fella that is screaming, BREAK, BREAK, YA GOT AN' OLE COPY, WE TRYIN'," and YOU are the one saying, "I'd like to grab that guy by the neck and jack-slap the you-know-what outta him"!!!!!!!!!!

The very vagaries of skip is the REASON they don't want CB folks to work DX. While one person is trying to use CB as a short ranged, local tool, another fella is engaging in his hobby and talking to a station in Singapore. However, the skip to the utility CB user is one-way and he can hear YOU, YOU and the Singapore statio hear EACH other, but YOU can't hear HIM. You are messing him up without ever knowing it and, of course, you can't see what the big deal is!

NO question, FCC doesn't necessarily go after skip talkers due to funding issues. It STILL doesn't make it right. Just like the money that was found and kept, a crime was committed in that
keeping found money IS illegal, but, yes, you may get away with it. It STILL doesn't make it RIGHT! Just because the FCC is not able to cite every station for every offense doesn't mean that it is OK. The moral climate in the country, unfortunately, has fallen to new lows in that the laws that, imperfect as they are, are made for good purpose, and we say in our own moral code, "It is OK to break the law as long as we don't get caught!" Tell me, would you SPEED at 95 MPH, if you knew that ALL the highway patrolmen were tied up in a riot control. Is it OK *just* because there is a situation that can't be helped? (There's that money layin' in the road again). It is STILL wrong and STILL against the law to do it.

Still, the HARM in making CB a hobby, i.e., DXing, is that it DOES cause harm to other users. That's the bottom line. We may not LIKE it, but it is the truth. It competes wrongfully with the Amateur Radio Service where DX is welcomed AND encouraged. It harms because it allows people to do unseen harm to other people without either knowing, caring, OR taking responsibility for their actions. Sure, stations all over can hear you with your 4 watts and, sure, you could talk to them. But you don't HAVE to. The nature of 27 MHZ is what it is and can't be helped. It is bad enough as it stands without making it WORSE by sanctioning hobby use of CB radio. Doing so would only create an even worse mess. And that is why they will never legalize it.

This has been a great debate, and I've enjoyed it! :D It boils down to: you have an opinion, I have mine. And I know you aren't gonna yield no matter what I say! :p Yer dadburned mind is made up! LOL! So there!! 8)

73 all,

CWM

Jerry,
You touched a little bit of what I was looking for. I was not asking a legal question when talking of "harm" I was speaking technically. It seems so hard to get an answer outside of the "legal illegal" mindset.

Likewise, while you, QRN, may see no harm in "skip talking", it does, in fact, cause harm to other users. Ever listen to that telltell howl and roar common to CB radio when the "skip" is in?

Maybe they should make amateur DX contest's illegal also for the same reason....interfereance to other users.The only true reason for DX contest is to see who has the bigger Johnson...and sometimes that does mean an old Viking rig. :p I know I certainly would enjoy the bands more without someone jumping on top of my QSO and taking over the freq. and telling ME to move because he is in the contest.

All anyone has to do is tune the band at the bottom of the sunspot cycle,like now, to see just how many stations there are that will "suffer" interferance from a dx'er.The band is DEAD almost everywhere for local communications.I did say ALMOST.I really think that those who don't DX now still won't if it was legal because they don't want too,not because of the law.Face it some people only want to listen and others only want it to chat while on a roadtrip.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.