• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB or Export?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Got a new job which requires lots of road time, seeing how VHF and UHF is dead here and I only have VHF and UHF in the truck, been looking at going with a CB or export radio. I just Can't Decide which radio to get for the truck.
Uniden 980SSB
Galaxy DX959/979
Galaxy 95T
Galaxy 99V
RCI 2950/2970
Stryker 955
Magnum 257HP

I will def be using CB to talk to truckers and making some QSO's on 10m SSB.
Don't care for echo or roger beeps and all that jazz
Soo many choices!

You'd wear out the encoder shaft or break it on the SR8T. The weighted knob just bounces up and down on the plastic encoder shaft. NB sucks at quelling mobile noise as well. The SR8T is a decent rig, but the shaft is the sloppiest, wiggliest and cornballish there is. BTW, the NB sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If you do not want to spring for a small hf rig, at least get one that will do 10/11/12.
I have had good luck with the 2950 dx.
I hear good things about the optima, and I have heard a couple on air, sounded good.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
If u like talking mostly on AM, go with a Galaxy or maybe even one of the old school Cobra radios... I'm not a fan of the Galaxy radios...

If you talk on SSB much, I'd go with a N2 radio...

Myself, I'd look for a old school Cobra 148, and get me a amp to go with it..
Those old school 148's, are hard to beat with a 2 pill or bigger amp..
Don't take a lot to get the old radios to sound good either..

2950dx or 99v2, I have both and would be tough to choose which I like the best.

Have a 959 too, I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 person
Get the 2970n2, plenty of power and is a great ssb radio. Have a good tech do the work, JMO but I would send it to the doc of New York, he has worked those type rci radios for many years and exclusively works on them i believe. Another good tech is DTB radio, or Doug's custom cb shop. Have the radio tuned and aligned, do not have the radio peaked!! Leave it at around stock levels and it will last much longer and sound better as well. Good luck and hope to hear you on the air. God bless

Love my 257HP, and the Rangers are nice, too. Hard to go wrong with either one.

Brett

I have an original 257, did they ever fix the reception issues on the newer models?
too much noise for a mobile, at least for me. I used to think hearing my engine noise in my receive was bad until I got a 257 and had to listen to everyone else's engine noise.
and just forget receive when you've got a lightsaber battle going on...
^^ ab v c^^

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.