• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB radio: Is it over and out?

I know Hands Free is not enforced.
I keep current on a daily basis on news within the trucking industry and would expect any new hands free rules for CB's to be made public like they have been in the past.

I'm not aware of any states or municipalities that include the use of CB or HF radio under hands free laws. Problem is the wording of the laws are subject to interpretation because many of them purposely do not give specific definitions to what devices are to be used as hands fee only.

Years ago Coconino county in northern Arizona (Flagstaff), passed a hands free only laws and the original draft stated "ALL ELECTRONIC DEVICES" and initially included all radio's too. This immediately got the attention of the Amateur radio community there and they quickly intervened and got the ruling changed to exclude radio devices like HF and CB. We can thank them for being so vigilant and stepping up they way they did! However, a cell phone is a radio because it transmits on a frequency too but this debate will never be won.

To my knowledge, Canadian rules now require the use of CB's and HF radios to be hands-free only. The rules vary among the Provinces though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unit 194
Even after CB usage is long gone, if and when that ever happens, restoring them will always remain a pleasurable pastime for the technicians or tinkers. Restoring an old cathedral radio, an Atwater Kent or even building a crystal set helps keep the past alive. The antique market fluctuates, but quality working examples always seem to fetch a high premium. Ever price an old 7” round tube TV from the 40’s or a Predicta?

Reactions: Tallman
I keep current on a daily basis on news within the trucking industry and would expect any new hands free rules for CB's to be made public like they have been in the past.

I'm not aware of any states or municipalities that include the use of CB or HF radio under hands free laws. Problem is the wording of the laws are subject to interpretation because many of them purposely do not give specific definitions to what devices are to be used as hands fee only.

Years ago Coconino county in northern Arizona (Flagstaff), passed a hands free only laws and the original draft stated "ALL ELECTRONIC DEVICES" and initially included all radio's too. This immediately got the attention of the Amateur radio community there and they quickly intervened and got the ruling changed to exclude radio devices like HF and CB. We can thank them for being so vigilant and stepping up they way they did! However, a cell phone is a radio because it transmits on a frequency too but this debate will never be won.

To my knowledge, Canadian rules now require the use of CB's and HF radios to be hands-free only. The rules vary among the Provinces though.
The Hands Free law as far as cell phones and texting is concerned is seldom enforced in New Jersey. :(

Reactions: Tallman
Even after CB usage is long gone, if and when that ever happens, restoring them will always remain a pleasurable pastime for the technicians or tinkers. Restoring an old cathedral radio, an Atwater Kent or even building a crystal set helps keep the past alive. The antique market fluctuates, but quality working examples always seem to fetch a high premium. Ever price an old 7” round tube TV from the 40’s or a Predicta?
Reputable and qualified radio techs is also a dying breed. :(

The Hands Free law as far as cell phones and texting is concerned is seldom enforced in New Jersey. :(
It's hard to enforce a law that Police Officers also break on a daily basis. I have seen it far too often in Kentucky.
Just think of all of those fun to play with bargains lining up for us in the future!

this article is 6 years old, and CB radio seems to be about the same as it was then, minus the skip conditions of course.

I agree that the author didn't have a clue as to what CB radio is to the hobbyists who enjoy it.

My guess is that the author found a comparison online between the internet of today and "the internet of yesterday" IE CB radio, and decided to use that comparison to fill in some space around ad content in their paper.

They probably went looking through the phone book and found the one guy who still had a public phone number associated with CB radio in that area.

In my area, the local crowd seems to change about every five years or so, with some old codgers abandoning the airwaves, while a few newbies finally feel like they "own the channel" and start getting more into their hobby.

The current crowd around here seems to be 40 and 50 somethings, which means that most likely they started in the late 80's and 90's.

every time i think that CB radio has died in my area (SW US), i turn on the radio there is a new crowd of people keying on each other and making fun of whichever one drinks too much before getting on the air.

The thing that sucks around here is that the new guys all get on the net and start hacking up their radios and believing false amplifier claims.

I take a lot of pride in the quality of my audio, and the people here just think im not loud enough LOL.
LC

this article is 6 years old, and CB radio seems to be about the same as it was then, minus the skip conditions of course.

I agree that the author didn't have a clue as to what CB radio is to the hobbyists who enjoy it.

My guess is that the author found a comparison online between the internet of today and "the internet of yesterday" IE CB radio, and decided to use that comparison to fill in some space around ad content in their paper.

They probably went looking through the phone book and found the one guy who still had a public phone number associated with CB radio in that area.

In my area, the local crowd seems to change about every five years or so, with some old codgers abandoning the airwaves, while a few newbies finally feel like they "own the channel" and start getting more into their hobby.

The current crowd around here seems to be 40 and 50 somethings, which means that most likely they started in the late 80's and 90's.

every time i think that CB radio has died in my area (SW US), i turn on the radio there is a new crowd of people keying on each other and making fun of whichever one drinks too much before getting on the air.

The thing that sucks around here is that the new guys all get on the net and start hacking up their radios and believing false amplifier claims.

I take a lot of pride in the quality of my audio, and the people here just think im not loud enough LOL.
LC

LC, here in Ca there are still lots of folks on all different channels. On east/west highways you can still be heard by the California Highway Patrol. They may just be scanning(can make contact with more mature Patrol Officers and especially DOT) but, they are listening. Maybe because I work on a hazmat corridor and live off another. I have had mic in hand on many occasions and no problems.

Way out here in the very rural ranch country where I live, cell phones and tablets are useless. Cell towers are very, very far apart. When we travel from the ranch into town (92 miles away) we can't get a cell signal for the first 75 miles.
Cell phones are useless on the ranch also. No service. We do use the CB radio on the ranch, and between neighbors. Base radios and mobile.
And most of us out here can communicate by the radio up to 65~75 miles from the base and mobile units.

It's dead as a door nail all the way to the Pacific along the 40/10. Except some skip on 6 of course and some illegals on freeband SSB calling home, or trying to anyhow. Nobody.

I guess I look at that law like this: It's bolted to the vehicle, it's NOW part of the vehicles system. Like a regular AM/FM Cassette / 8-Track back in the day. Along with that system, included was the speakers and antenna. So as the vehicle went - the equipment was considered an accessory and that made the difference between hands free - versus using the accessories - that being - bolted to the car. "Bolted" is the term you use with the police, even though it's stuck with Velcro or jammed into the seats or stuck on the roof with the pizza delivery and kids play magnets . (Speaker, Radio and the Antenna - not necessarily in that order)

It (the radio) isn't stuck in your ear with your hands - and you are able to restore if not maintain control of the vehicle without having to divert your attention to-from-by-with your significant others issues on the other end. Hence the loose item (phone) requires coordination and skill set that may be (does and often will be) hindering or blocking your ability to correct or respond to the vehicles' needs versus a radio, attached as an accessory as part of the vehicle - as they (radio) are, it needs to operate independently of you in a fashion that does not interfere with vehicles main modes and methods of operation. Cell phones divert from that - meaning that it is a free floating item keeping you from your main duties of driving and maintaining control of the vehicle. You can drop a microphone, your antenna may even be seen leaving your vehicle in your rear view mirror - but you are not directly impacted by the loss of said items - your phone is your personal attachment to others - it's not attached to the vehicle to keep it stable, instead it keeps you from fully using your abilities to get a handle on things as they happen so you can correct them - reaction.

There is a separate issue of Duplex, versus Simplex, but it goes without saying the Duplex mode is, and requires, you to be more distracted due to the effort you need to maintain attention to the conversation which can cause distraction even when it's claimed to be hands free. Simplex is a broadcast, wait for response 10-9 if necessary and move forward if no one responds.

:+> Andy <+:

Reactions: RoadRanger
I recently drove down to Bluffton, SC (just before Hilton Head Island), and then back up to the NE via I-95. Initially I had a Uniden PC-33 installed in my mobile until I got a report of a squeal in my XMIT audio (discussed in another thread here). I had a spare radio - a Cobra 25 with me and that's what I used for the rest of the sojourn.

Is CB dead? I can answer in one word - NO!!!! I had thought from all that I read and from what I heard, or didn't hear near my 10-20 / QTH that CB radio was indeed gone!
My opinion changed as soon as I had my first surprise mobile contact on a local parkway. Once on the open road the airwaves were active with truckers although not as much as maybe 20-25 years ago.

While driving north on I-95 in NC I used info that I 'copied' between truckers to avoid construction that caused a back-up for several miles. I got off I-95 and took Rte 301 (got my first radio check with the Cobra as well) for several miles; when I hopped back on I-95 I surprisingly crossed into Virginia wondering where all that traffic went.

Bottom line, CB radio on the open road isn't dead although it's more on the quieter side these days.

Mike

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Oh its not dead that's for sure.

I live near a Truckstop so the "Chatter" is oftentimes just "radio check" stuff - Radio check here, there - everywhere a radio check, check, check...

At least they try to have a conversation.

:+> Andy <+:

The phenomenon that has developed here (Louisville, KY) is that drivers keep the CB turned off until they encounter a traffic jam. Then they all turn on the CB at once to ask what's the holdup.

More than once, a driver coming the other way says he heard about it 15 minutes before. But only because his CB was turned on.

And sometimes it's a bit less polite than "If you had been listening you would have taken an exit in time to go around the accident/construction whatever caused it".

Definitely hearing less "Sesame Street" banter on 19 than you used to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated