• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CERTAIN HF$ NEVER HEARD ON 11METERS

You missed the entire point.

my comment was about using it as a MOBILE radio.

It IS a cheap radio, if it gets bounced around, stolen, ect, it isn't a major loss, they are less than $500 new.

99% of my mobile operations are on a set freq with people that I already know, put the info into the memory and yack away. the vfo has a lock that is easily activated with a button push.

unlike 'certain" big 3 models with detachable faces, the speaker is in the head, not the body, mount that big ol body in the trunk and use the detachable head and speaker wherever you want to mount it.
Point taken. That's why I have it as a backup mobile because of the detachable head. I currently use my IC-7000 in this manner. If my Icom went down, I can easily swap out since my amp and all cables are remotely located in the same spot.

However, there should be no excuse for a sloppy VFO since this is the main knob a user will use first. Even the cheapest CB has a solid channel selector knob! $500 is a lot of money even though Alinco's are the cheapest all band HF radios out there.

I think you could agree with that.

Did you read past 13 of mine? I'm not completely knocking them.

Reactions: Sonar
unlike 'certain" big 3 models with detachable faces, the speaker is in the head, not the body

I thought I would mention the Icom 7000 has a side mounted 3.5mm jack on the remote head for convenience when using the radio head remotely. This Jack also has a selector switch for mono or stereo for either external speaker or mono/stereo headsets.

Just plug in an external speaker which I prefer over internal ones anyway.

Well thought out by Icom I would say.

I've never heard a Hilberling PT-8000A being used on the 11 meter band.
pt-8000-tg_340.jpg

Reactions: RetroGrouch
I've never heard a Hilberling PT-8000A being used on the 11 meter band.
pt-8000-tg_340.jpg

It's only an $18,000 radio but it failed to meet even the spec's of an Icom 718 regarding FCC requirements of what is to be approved for amateur use in America. But it would be a great export radio for free-banders with a large wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket or a generous credit card.

The radio stopped production years ago by the manufacture but there should be some floating around out there for sale.

Big deal. I have never heard a Hiberlinh PT-8000A being used on the amateur bands either. LOL :p
You haven't lived until you heard one on the Amateur bands! :D

Actually it looks like a well built radio with an industrial appearance look to it. I like the fact it has N connectors on the antenna ports which is something I would like to see as the new standard on all HF radios.

But $18k...? :rolleyes:

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Well ...yes. But,

The VFO is very loose and sloppy and there is no adjustment. You have to use the VFO to make large adjustments then lock it, then use the up/down buttons from there. Otherwise the VFO will drift especially being bounced around when used as a mobile.

There is no true variable power, just preset selections for two QRP levels and full QRO. It can be modded internally for 50 watts only so an amp can be run.

The radio is rather large for a mobile, much larger than the pics portray it to be, Yes the separation kit is nice and can be useful in mobile ops but again it is kind of big and wide.

I got the radio in trade for a screwdriver antenna I had and I have this radio put aside just as a spare. Other than that, I wouldn't have bought one outright.

Other than that, the menu settings are limited but there is some useful settings there and there is a basic IF filter.

Like I posted earlier, The Alinco's are considered a poor man's HF radio.
I guess it's safe to say that you are not a fan of the alinco. I've heard of them referred to as the poor man's HF by many operators. Being that this posting is almost 3 years old I'd have to assume that not many people purchasing alinco transceivers in great numbers. The end of the cycle and the advancement in technology has made it a buyer's market. Just like all other technology and technology-based companies they release items already having the predecessor just waiting in the background to take over the one they're advertising as the future of HF. Especially for the big three. The secondhand prices for a one to two year old big3 HF no longer amazam me. The going rate for a terrific second hand mint condition HF at one time did surprise me but not anymore. It's definitely a buyer's market. Even the prices for a brand new mid-level yet high-end HF like the icom 7300 is one of the transceivers that actually still blow my mind when it comes to pricing (used or brand new.) It's safe to say that the 7300 had and still has a lot to do with brand new transceivers that were bought months ago for $1,500 through $2,500 going for almost half the price. Sometimes even less.

It's only an $18,000 radio but it failed to meet even the spec's of an Icom 718 regarding FCC requirements of what is to be approved for amateur use in America. But it would be a great export radio for free-banders with a large wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket or a generous credit card.

The radio stopped production years ago by the manufacture but there should be some floating around out there for sale.
$18,000!?! I could buy 11 icom 7300's. Of course I would not have a use for 11 of any HF transceiver. But for $18,000 it must come with a hot blond and a 7 day stay in saint Martin. A couple of bottles of Crystal or DP should also be included in that deal.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74163

Still prices on the IC-7300 FALLING...So with power supply and FREE Shipping on whole package...After rebate...The IC-7300 LESS THAN $900 NEW
Now selling used for little over $700...

Say couple sold on QTH.com last week...
One 2 weeks old...$795 with shipping
One 2 months old…$750 with shipping
Look for another NIB price to happen around middle of May.
All the Best
Gary

Interesting: The Big Fan fair when released for $1500+ just little over 2 years ago...
Now over 40+% price reduction since then...
Many for sale less then 6 Month's old!
Interesting
All the Best
Gary

Yet 10+ year old Yaesu FT-950's are still selling around $700 +/-
And 15 year old Yaesu FT-920 AC/DC/DSP's selling still for around $650 +/-

Hmmm...makes you wonder???

... edit... mid-level yet high-end HF like the icom 7300...the 7300 had and still has a lot to do with brand new transceivers that were bought months ago for $1,500 through $2,500 going for almost half the price. Sometimes even less.

Lets see, the 7300 originally sold for about $1600, now it is less than $900 new, yep, just about 50%.

BTW, even ICOM calls the 7300 an entry level radio.

"New technology is changing the way receivers are being designed and the IC-7300 is an industry first as an RF, Direct Sampling System is being used in an entry level HF radio."

http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7300/default.aspx

Quoted from First sentence of radio's description on the ICOM/USA website.

Continued in the same paragraph:
"We feel the performance of the ‘7300 will far exceed your expectations for a radio considered entry level."

Yep just repeating the're own words.
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated