• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax And Lightning?

Those may be ok for supplemental protection, but you should still have the overall site grounding and bonding taken care of first and foremost.

An easy option that you could build yourself uses a Tee connector and a piece of cable to place the entire antenna at DC ground. Using RG8 or RG58, strip the coax and solder the inner and outer conductors together six feet out from the center of the Tee. Place the Tee anywhere convenient in the system. Can attach the far end of the cable to a ground connection somewhere as well. This is for 27MHz only. At other frequencies the length will be different.

Last edited:
And just to be careful, you might also point out that 6 foot 'stub' would only be for an 11 meter antenna's feed line. It would have to be a different length for different bands so not usable on multi-band antennas.
I think those lightning arrestors shown in post #31 have been around almost forever, and can't 'arrest' lightning at all, at least not soon enough to help. I've only taken one apart so the one shown could be different (wouldn't bet on it though). They are 'spark-gap' type arrestors.
- 'Doc

Those surge protectors limit the surge travelling along the center conductor of the coaxial cable. They will not control or direct ground currents. I'd consider them only as supplemental protection. Without correcting the overall installation, including proper routing of transmission lines, they will have little affect.

Those surge protectors limit the surge travelling along the center conductor of the coaxial cable. They will not control or direct ground currents. I'd consider them only as supplemental protection. Without correcting the overall installation, including proper routing of transmission lines, they will have little affect.

All this seems to look like to me is to run a ground from your radio?

groundingaradiotower.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.