• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Coax length.. does it matter or not

Hey bootymonster, good info on the coax. Although,:confused: I just cant understand how to calculate the half wave, full wave, thing for 11 meters or any meter. LOL

And audio, ive heard the antenna suggestion more than once, wilson 5k must be a good one. I just dislike magmount antennas, but its that, or keep a huge bottle of asprin, for the coil antenna.

Thx

8x coax is plenty for that amp . i think it's too much radio for the amp , but it's not my money that paid for it . 8x typically has a velocity factor of %78 . a electrical half wavelength of coax (or multiples of that length) will reflect whats shown on the other end to let the meter more accurately show what's going on at the antenna .
492 divided by frequency times velocity factor .
492 / 27.205 (channel 20) x .78 = 14 ft 1 1/4 inches . a inch either way will still keep you in the cb band .

wilson is going bye bye . look at the sirio 5000 or a predator 10k if you don't wanna run a 102/108 .

if you have 5 ft or more slack coax make a 4 1/2 turn 4 1/4 inch choke under the antenna .

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you keep smakin' that amp with 80 watts input - it will fry too. The Texas Star amp repair guy is a member of this forum - BTW. He said the most common reason for failure with their amps are people trying to get more watts out of the amp by putting too many watts in. Of course; ya don't have to take my word for it . . .

You say some people are overdriving their amps????? That never happens on 27.025!

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.