• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 148 GTL Review

Thanks for the review Rob..was thinking of getting one but I will pass,,maybe with a slew of upgrades it would be a little better,,I would almost buy it just for the smooth dual conversion RX as long as it was just like its older counterpart.I don't talk much on SSB anyway.

577-Jersey

I own the 4 pin front mic version of this radio. I also own a side mic Phillippine version. I have run them back to back, and cannot honestly tell the difference between the two, other than it's Galaxy like slightly off frequency on SSB until it warms up when it is below 40 degrees outside. After that, it sounds great with a Telex/Turner RK56 noise cancelling mic. Despite a lot of people saying that the radio is junk, I cannot prove it to myself, so I'll just hang onto it and use it. I believe this one was manufactured in 2000, and was just serviced and aligned. My side mic Cobra was built in 1993.

Reactions: Woody-202 and doffo
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiise from your grave. :)

I never seen this post from Robb. May he rest in peace.

And I 100% agree with rob on "The common complaint is that it was off frequency on SSB mode, and only improved slightly after thirty minutes of constant conversation back and forth."

This is what led me to unlocking the clarifier on my Grant XL. I really got tired of being off and not really knowing it. After an hour of leaving it on, I did my best to bring it back on frequency. Much better now than before.

For what its worth, my Cobra 146 GTL is much more stable once it has warmed up than the Grant XL. Grant XL seems to ever so slightly drift back and forth. Maybe capacitors are getting tired? All is well. I still enjoy the radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.