• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 148 NW ST QUESTION

freebird2kk

Jul 24, 2011
Hello Everyone,
Im wondering about a replacement IC-4 for this radio because the one I am working on has that part missing. Also, by looking at the empty position where this component mounts to the chassis wall I see it only has three pins which is what bothers me since earlier 148GTLs which I have the service data use something like an 8 pin IC instead. I have not been able to ascertain what the replacement part is and can not find it on CB tricks, although I might have overlooked it, so if anyone knows what the part number is for IC4 in this version of the cobra 148 I would appreciate you telling me. Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Welcome to the forum.

If you are referring to the voltage regulator, then it is an LM 7809. I've got a NW/ST, and I think it has the 9 volt reg (Nat Semi LM 7809) rather than the 8 volt reg (Nat Semi LM7808). Get a high quality replacement, like a National Semiconductor part. I haven't looked at the schematic yet; but I think that is correct.

Voltage stability is a critical factor to make the later model 148 NW/ST radios work well on SSB; so the better brand of part will be preferred. Lotsa thermal compound and use a mica insulator; not the thick ceramic one. Or so I have been instructed - anyway.

EDIT: Checked the schematic. Yes, IC4 is a LM-7809. It actually calls for a "KIA 7809". But I would go with the Nat Semi part LM 7809.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.