• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 2000 GTL Schematic

Here is a redraw has been around the net a while I added the TR descriptions and marked the stages. If you catch a mistake let me know
Hi redlght I appreciate you taking the time to color code the schematic and post it. I am trying to restore my 2000gtl back to original condition. It has been modified and I have removed the modifications but need some help. So I need to attach the wiring on the tone and volume back to the way it was originally. Im not very good at understanding the reading of the schematic. Any chance you have an original 2000 that you could take close up pics of the control nobs underneath so I can see the wiring hooked to the controls?

3432D334-8D94-4969-92F8-83E5F045B94E.jpeg 488BE0A1-BBE2-4314-9134-03BF8D85BD93.jpeg
Hi redlght I appreciate you taking the time to color code the schematic and post it. I am trying to restore my 2000gtl back to original condition. It has been modified and I have removed the modifications but need some help. So I need to attach the wiring on the tone and volume back to the way it was originally. Im not very good at understanding the reading of the schematic. Any chance you have an original 2000 that you could take close up pics of the control nobs underneath so I can see the wiring hooked to the controls?

Bottom picture is the volume.
Black wire far right, red is middle, left is white.

First digit of the serial number is the last digit of the year. In your case "3" indicates 1983. But only if the country of origin is Taiwan.

There is an ambiguity for a serial number starting with the digit "8". Could be 1978. Could be 1988. And if it says made in the Philippines, it was made in 1989 or later.

About that "1978 or 1988" problem. Four-digit date codes on some of the chips in the radio can settle this. If the clock/counter module hasn't been swapped out, there will be a handful of chips in that enclosure with open 4-digit date codes. And if that module isn't original, those chips don't tell you anything about the rest of the radio.

You could use the 4-digit date code on the factory-original MB8734 PLL chip, but only if it hasn't been replaced with a MB8719. If you see that type number, it's not factory original. That's a mod meant to expand the channels.

Would be easier if they just printed a production date on the thing somewhere.

First digit of the serial number is the last digit of the year. In your case "3" indicates 1983. But only if the country of origin is Taiwan.

There is an ambiguity for a serial number starting with the digit "8". Could be 1978. Could be 1988. And if it says made in the Philippines, it was made in 1989 or later.

About that "1978 or 1988" problem. Four-digit date codes on some of the chips in the radio can settle this. If the clock/counter module hasn't been swapped out, there will be a handful of chips in that enclosure with open 4-digit date codes. And if that module isn't original, those chips don't tell you anything about the rest of the radio.

You could use the 4-digit date code on the factory-original MB8734 PLL chip, but only if it hasn't been replaced with a MB8719. If you see that type number, it's not factory original. That's a mod meant to expand the channels.

Would be easier if they just printed a production date on the thing somewhere.

Ok thanks this is a Taiwan made.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?