• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 2000 GTL

Well , as I said in the beginning of this thread . I meant every word I said concerning those radios . I pretty much mean every word I say when I say it anyway. Opinions are like assholes , we all have one.

Different strokes for different folks . If you got the money and "you" want to spend it ? By all means do so. You can weigh out the pros and cons all "you"s want , Your dimes and your times. Quote.

Well , as I said in the beginning of this thread . I meant every word I said concerning those radios . I pretty much mean every word I say when I say it anyway. Opinions are like assholes , we all have one.

Different strokes for different folks . If you got the money and "you" want to spend it ? By all means do so. You can weigh out the pros and cons all "you"s want , Your dimes and your times. Quote.

Well, I guess with the cliche's you've puked up here, basically what you're saying is, you have no longer have a standing argument. I've worked on many, and I many, of the newer base stations, all repair services, but, all I've ever done to Cobra bases is modifications. I'm starting to get the impression that you own a, or some, of the newer base stations, which if you like those newer units and you feel that is your "taste", it's great by me, but, to slam other guys for paying good money for rock solid performers like the Cobra 2000, which is as we know, no longer manufactured... Well, What kind of cheese would you like with your...

Sorry all the CB world will not covert to your way of radio religion.

I've felt this coming on for a while now . I personally do not care what you have done to or with anything 250. You have been beating around the bush with me a few times now. Enough is enough. I don't care what you think or what your trying to sell.

With that , IM done wasting my time even reading your spew towards me. The best of luck to you and your business
endeavors . I don't and I won't have to buy it. Good day to you. :)

IM sorry here guys , but there time and place has come and gone as far as IM concerned. I can not believe what guys will pay for these dinosaurs. Sure there good RX and TX'ing radio. But 200 to 500 for one used ? !! No Way !!

You try finding parts for those nowadays ! or a replacement freq counter read out ! I just don't understand what these guys are thinking putting up the cash for these ? The way I look at it is this , You could get a used older 148 GTL or Grant and do just as good , You could even put a brand new freq counter on those. (that's all those radios are is the 2000 in a mobile form)

Not to mention the power supplies in those radios , especially after they were used bord out on AM and especially SSB !! You would still be one up using a nice power supply on the other radios I mentioned. Oh , you can forget modifying the Cobra 2000s with Mosfets as well because there wouldn't be enough power from the inner supply to handle them.

I just don't see the big deal anymore with the Cobra 2000s , although I see negativity as it is. This is just my opinion and you guys out there thinking about putting up some big cash for one , you might think twice before you do for the simple fact you could do so much better for your dollar today.

I would say that this statement could be asked in regards to all aspects of radio no matter if it's cb or ham. Why do cbers/collectors (me included) pay $500.00 for a 2000? The same reason that hams/collectors pay hundreds if not thousands for old ass Collins,Hammarlund,Drake and Johnson radios when the parts as well as people qualified to work on them are damn near impossible to find these days. Because that's what they want and they are willing to pay what ever need be to get it.

If you decided to sale one of "these dinosaurs" 5 years down the road you will most likely be able to sale it for more than you paid for it. Try that with a 2517!

2000GTL

We like these "dinosaurs" for the same reason we like 57 chevies, 59 Cadillacs, and 63 Corvettes, etc... Sure, there are newer things that do more stuff, but they are not as cool, and the old stuff works. Has nothing to do with what is practical.

PR

If you decided to sale one of "these dinosaurs" 5 years down the road you will most likely be able to sale it for more than you paid for it. Try that with a 2517!

That would surely be Ideal for me . ;)

Switch Kit, I'm not here to start any trouble, but, I will say that you are fighting a losing battle, I think you have a great self-opinion about the matter, but, I don't think your opinion is going to be held to a high regards, especially with the way the products' demands are trying to be met.

People want the 2000 units, and are willing to pay high amounts of money because they are solid radios and they have a strong historical reputation for being one of the most durable units ever built. I mean, look at this way, the Cobra 29 Classic has been one the most famous radios in history, but, the Cobra 29 NW is for sale everyday, and easy to find, if you can find a working one, same thing with the ST, no one wants them anymore, dime a dozen on ebay, the BT is junk, it had no life span at all...

The point is if I had to choose between a newer Cobra 29 NW, ST, or BT and it was for sale for $10.00 I would not buy it. If I saw an nice old Cobra 29 LTD Classic for $200.00 and they were as hard to find as the Cobra 2000... I'd be buying the original.

Galaxy radios are like Harely Davidsons to me, you fix them more than you ride them. You don't fix a Cobra 2000... you just keep doing modifications.

Get it?

The Cobra 2000 GTL was a legendary radio, and still one of the best "cb" base stations ever made.. It's always going to be a very valuable, sought after, and a collectors item. Granted the galaxy radios may have more power, but you can always run a kicker for that.. As far as receive, mods, audio sound quality, and even modulation, a Cobra 2000 gtl still holds its own.

I think a lot of the attraction is that it comes in a pretty box with lotsa knobs an stuff...:D

Ron

Well, that's part of it, but, the main thing is the fact that it's solid performer and the units were built like steel ships. As for the Cobra 148 thing, yes it's pretty much a 148 board, but, a Cobra 148 now days is nothing like the cobra 148 of yester year. So, you either buy a new galaxy / ranger base, that you can expect to fix a lot, or you pay good money for a well built unit, that you just have to talk on.

Well, that's part of it, but, the main thing is the fact that it's solid performer and the units were built like steel ships. As for the Cobra 148 thing, yes it's pretty much a 148 board, but, a Cobra 148 now days is nothing like the cobra 148 of yester year. So, you either buy a new galaxy / ranger base, that you can expect to fix a lot, or you pay good money for a well built unit, that you just have to talk on.

You know, it amazes me that you would say that. I had a galaxy 2547 for 3 years that come from Copper an never had a lick of trouble out of it. An now I have a 2995 dx ranger from copper I've had awhile with no troubles either.

Ron

oh yeah and chevys font have good brakes and gmc's use heavier wiring and fords use more windshield wiper fluid and toyotas need headgaskets. If guys want a cobra 2000 because its old and cool and reminds them of the good old days fine, but I would get my head examined if I spent over $100 for one. and as far as 148s not being built like they used to... they also stopped putting vaccum tubes in everything and cars run on gasoline and not kerosine and we use natural gas instead of coal nowadays... everyone is always obsessed with going backwards in this hobby. not forwards... it boggles me.
if I put a 148nw against it on air with the same mics and antennas both doing same watts you would have no idea which is which...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.