• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 2000 GTL

Well, that's part of it, but, the main thing is the fact that it's solid performer and the units were built like steel ships. As for the Cobra 148 thing, yes it's pretty much a 148 board, but, a Cobra 148 now days is nothing like the cobra 148 of yester year. So, you either buy a new galaxy / ranger base, that you can expect to fix a lot, or you pay good money for a well built unit, that you just have to talk on.

Dodgem's Majik CB Radio Products
its majik if it doesnt blow up.
you have no business explaining to me about cb radio and the boards they have if you sell swing kits and 1 watt deadkey mods for superstars.sorry.

Its a relic that is sorely overpriced. This has been brought up many times, and none of the relic lovers can come even close to giving one decent reason why a 2k is supposed to be so much better than any other radio. Hell they aren't even very good looking in my opinion. I have seen the claims that Dodgem makes myself, and figure his opinion on anything other than B.S is worthless. It does however boil down to personal pref. If some antique lover wants to pay $500 for an inferior, and likely worn out doorstop, it is his choice. The 2K is nothing more than a 148 in a box with a power supply Plain and simple. The only diff is you could possibly find a 148 or two in better working order. Most of these 2ks have been hacked, and blown up, and repaired so many times, and sitting for so long. Good luck. You might get lucky and find one that performs, but both my Galaxy and Ranger bases will go alot longer, and sound far better. $100 to maybe $200 is the only fair price for a COBRA 2000. Pay more and you got ripped off.

well . almost 2 years later and I surely don't see them fetching much more then they were. (maybe even less) weather 33 years old or 18 years old and in between. Surely nothing wrong with collecting and hoping a cb radio might be worth more 40 years later maybe ? I truly doubt that. It kind of reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode I once saw where these guys steal a bunch of gold bars and decide to go into some hibernation state for 50 years or so , when they come out of hibernation it turns out that gold is no longer worth a plug nickle. :(

When I was kid , my mom worked on the assembly line at Mattle Toys in the late 60s to the early 70s. in So.Cal. I had every red line hot wheels made even before they ever hit the market , her lead lady would come home and have coffee with her after the grave yard shift , she would reach into her purse and hand me a couple of new ones that hadn't even been marketed as of yet , thats' right , first run !! Wow ! If I still had those cars today , I would surely have a mints worth of a collection today along with the volkswagon van that has fetch upwards to 25 thousand dollars.

The only thing about that is , even if I still had those little gold mines , I couldn't talk on them anyway. Memories (y) it's all good.

The Cobra 2000 (I prefer the 142) was both a performer and a aesthetically pleasing appliance.

It just LOOKED good in a house. That is important. Other than the Galaxy 2547 the other base radios today look like SHIT. :sleep:

How many times has that "rack mountable chassis" been rehashed? Seriously, who wants a rack mount unit in their living room/Kitchen? Those things are butt ugly.

At least the Cobra matches the wood grain on your Soundesign stereo system.(you don't see those on ebay going for $500)

The 2000gtl looks great in a living room....something lacking in today's base stations, even the Galaxy 2547 still looks "sanitized" for a base rig. There needs to be aesthetics in a base radio.

I agree, I'm not much on the looks, but if you'll notice the cars are butt ugly nowdays also.

Most of this ugly ass engineering was done by kids my generation raised

Hell, its hard to even find a good tv show anymore

Say what you may, the 2000 was ahead of its time in looks. It performed great, and put a smile on owners when others saw and heard them I'd swap the 4 Galaxy mobile I have for one good working, not butchered 2000. May even throw in the Washington too. I'm one who likes the 2000.

Say what you may, the 2000 was ahead of its time in looks. It performed great, and put a smile on owners when others saw and heard them I'd swap the 4 Galaxy mobile I have for one good working, not butchered 2000. May even throw in the Washington too. I'm one who likes the 2000.

The people who don't have'm, want them virgin. The people who have'm, want to do stuff with them. That's the way it goes. :closedeyes:

Even for such a old radio, the Receiver is still top notch in the CB world.

Hey too each is own, mine is in pristine condition, run a cobra CA-72 and a imaxx 2000, i didn't pay four or five hundred for mine, came with the original box, and manual, i just like looking at it, beautiful radio.....

The Great Cobra 2000 Debate

Ive had 3 or 4 Cobra 2000's back in the day.None of them cost over $200.00.One only cost $75.00,it had dual speakers and worked great.Id keep them until the 'new' wore off then get something else.Hell would freeze over before Id even consider giving $500.00 for one . If that freq. counter goes out, where you going to find the parts to fix it , etc, etc ?My favorite Cobra base is the old 139XLR.Its 858 chip will take more channels than that 8719.Ive never had a Galaxy,etc,because I didnt see any need.You can only talk on one channel at a time anyway, maybe bleed about 10,hahaha.Thats when you know your radio is working fine.

Ive got 500 bucks in my 4 cobra 2000's. They perform as they should. Flawless. I've got a few RCI's on the bench and run a rci in the mudduck mobileeeee. Thousands of dollars in them. My opinion doesnt really matter. Neither does anybody elses. But everybody on this forum couldnt whip my ass and take my 2000's from me. If you do congratulations; you just commited murder and are going to have a hard time prying them from my cold dead hands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.