1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 29 LTD no power

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by 1998f150wes, Apr 24, 2011.

1. 1998f150wes

1998f150wes
    Expand Collapse

okay ive got all my wiring done right and want to know why when i plug my cb in nothing happens i tested power inside and out i read somewhere it could be this little dilode but i dont know where its at but anyways can anyone help me with this

2. cbradiomagazine.com

cbradiomagazine.com
    Expand Collapse
    2008 - 2014 / Pau Hana

Did you check the fuse in the power cord?

Do you have a multimeter to verify you have power at the end if the power cord?

Instruction video on how to identify and replace the protection diode is on my website.

3. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

4. 1998f150wes

1998f150wes
    Expand Collapse

where is the D23 Dilode in the CB and where can i get the part

5. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

Its a common diode. If there is a Radio Shack near you; they probably have it. There is a band/stripe on one end of this diode. The replacement diode has to be put in with that band turned/pointed the same way as the one you take out. It is near the power plug area of the radio.

6. GnG8d

GnG8d
    Expand Collapse

If you look around you might be able to find an instruction video on how to change it.

7. 1998f150wes

1998f150wes
    Expand Collapse

im running a 5amp on my 29ltd will that blow the dilode cause before i was running a 30 amp

8. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

#8 Robb, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  9. 1998f150wes

1998f150wes
    Expand Collapse

i watched you video and my diode does not break apart what else would be the proplem if thats not it

10. Watergate

Watergate
    Expand Collapse

Just replace it if you can unsolder/solder. The part might cost you .99 cents if you over-pay for it. They don't always crumble apart when they are bad.

11. office888

office888
    Expand Collapse

Check it with a multi-meter. It should only pass voltage in one direction.

12. HeavyOperator

HeavyOperator
    Expand Collapse

So, I'm working on a 29 Ltd by that at first wasn't powering up. Diode 23 was bad, and I had to put a jumper from one pin to another to complete the circuit because the board got damaged.
    The radio powers on and receives beautifully. However, when I key up, I have no audio. Solid 3 watt output on dead key, and close by receivers go quiet, but when I whistle or test audio, I get nothing in the receiver. No swing on the transmitting radio. Receiving radio just gets silent humm. Any input is appreciated.

13. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

Did you check the microphone? The wires inside its plug can often get broken.
    Common.
    I'd start there first.

Id put that diode back in the radio. They don't call it a protection diode for nothing. Not only does it protect the radio circuit from damage, but it also keeps it from going up in flames if you should leave it out and possibly hook the radio power up backwards again. Buy a few of these diodes and keep them around. Never know if the next radio someone might give you needs nothing more than a diode replacement.

Forgot how many radios people gave me because they didn't want to fix them; popped a new diode back in and gave it back. A 5 cent diode can put a smile back on a person's face - true.

14. HeavyOperator

HeavyOperator
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did replace the diode. I also have quite a few back ups just in case.
    Also, I did check the mike, it is in working order, thought maybe it could be the control for Mike gain, but I believe not. I'm actually working on two 29 Ltd's, ones a standard Ltd and ones a Bluetooth model. The Bluetooth model has no audio signal but broadcasts 3 watts, the standard Ltd doesn't broadcast at all. I'm working on them for my coworker, they were toasted by old coworkers that didn't know anything about cb's other than push the PTT button. I wanted to take a crack at them and have found this and other sources to be very helpful.

15. Robb

Robb
    Expand Collapse
    Yup

Does the RX/TX light change when keyed?