• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29 poor tune up results?

mattposter

Aug 25, 2013
I have run across a few cobra 29 that give me a poor power output after a peak and tune. I can not get the modulation to increase at all. I have a mod of adding a resistor in a certain spot, and I have also tries clipping the limiter, only to see if I can get any increase, I know clipping the limiter is the wrong way. I get no increase even when I clip the limiter. The modulation pot does adjust it so I would think all is working right. On the scope it only goes as high as a stock 29 no matter what I've tried. Any help would be great. Thanks

You have to be doing more then 90% modulation for the amc to kick in. Carrier too high..what happens at 2 watts? Poor tune or issue with audio. 29's will do 120% with a power mic.

I'm not hacking up the radio... there are ways of modifying without hacking. Minor modifications to circuitry to get the most out of it verses removing components or completely changing a circuit are bad ideas.

no dis respect, but i would never run a radio with a limiter clipped ..
spend a few bucks and send it in to a man that feeds his family from tuning radios ..
i know i could slightly tune my radio but i like to sound good and not plague the airways with harmonics .
hope you figure it out

Kind of hard to offer any help without specifics. You "add a resistor in a certain spot" Where? What value? What is your carrier and peak wattage?
You said your having trouble with a few 29's, has this mod worked on others?
Not trying to hash on you, just need a lil more info so we can help;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.