1. Marconi is the winner of the December WDX CB Club DX Contest! Please Congratulate him here!

cobra 29 wx nw st mods

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Snack Man, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Snack Man

Snack Man Member

can somebody help me find a site with detailed instructions on the various possible mods for this radio and also i was wondering if someone could send me schamatics for the radio as well as how to build my own roger beep.

thx

2. Switch Kit

Switch Kit Active Member

hey Snack dude ? your 29 is basically a 29 with a few extras other then that ,it's basically the same as any other 29 , you should find what you need right in this section of threads. Anymore questions , feel free to ask.

3. Snack Man

Snack Man Member

thank u so much for helping me, just lemme make sure i am understanding what your saying, according to you, mods for a cobra 29 ltd or cobra 29 classic or a cobra 29 gtl will work on my cobra 29 wxnwst?

4. Switch Kit

Switch Kit Active Member

as far as I know , yes . You can just check the numbers to the numbers you will find in the mod's you might find. if things should not look the same to you ? just keep asking questions before you attempt to do anything. :)

5. thewadd6

thewadd6 Major Member

I have a 29 wx nw st, and yes, all the mods I have done to it were from the 29 classic and gtl etc mod pages. Everything I have done from swing kits to the final upgrades all worked great

6. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

Best mod I ever did on my 29 with weather band was disable the weather band! LOL. The damn weather kept bleeding in the background on AM. I tried a bunch of different ways to filter it out, but finally said F it!

7. Radio Tech

Radio Tech Radio Operator

This is good to know. I have a "Cobra wx nw st sound tracker night watch" on the shelf that some one gave me. Looks like brand new. How much of a name do they have to put on a radio? :D

Really I am thinking of using this radio as a bench test radio. Add varible power, expand the frequency, ect. Untill I find me a good ssb rig.

8. Radio Tech

Well, just opened this one up to check out the PLL chip.

This is what I found on the chip:
    Cobra
    29LTD 0445
    11600-00

New one on me. Seems things has changed over the past few years.
    I remember the older ones having the UP2816P and the older 29XLR having the 858.

Goingto have to research this one.

9. Radio Tech

Ok, Simple fix for frequency expansion.
    Just build a new oscillator like the one at TR-20.
    Add a 15.810 for high and a 14.910 for low.
    This can be done on one board.

And there you go.

10. spider451

spider451 Member

the chip has a differant number but it is the same as upd2816

11. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Well-Known Member

For any future radio purchases I would avoid anything that says SOUNDTRACKER. They are built sub-par compared to older 29's and 25's. I have seen them referred to as Soundcrappers, I'm sure they earned this nickname for a reason.

12. Audio Man

Audio Man Member

is there a way to disable the sound tracker?

13. TAZ

TAZ Member

Wondering if anyone can help me. I am reading these post and understanding some of it. But the queation I have is how I can hear other truckers better.

I have the cobra 29wxnw soundtracker came stock with the truck from Western Star.

I have hear people say they have "motherboard"? and you can hear them from a couple KM away.

How far should away should be normal to hear other Truckers?

Thanks

14. Big Dummy 123

Big Dummy 123 Member

Hi all yes the soundcrapper can be disabled. Go to the cobra site if ya cant find it. I have it printed out ill have to find it, Ben

15. Skyrider

Skyrider Member

I have to ask a dumb question. What exactly does the sound tracker button do anyway? I have a little cobra 25 with sound tracker and when i press the button i dont really notice any difference at all! :glare: