• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 89XLR

HeloThunder

Nov 15, 2010
I have a chance to buy one of these radios, and i wanted to ask you guys if you think the price is right, here is what has been done to it.

Recapped: All electrolytic capacitors are replaced with high grade Nichicon's Audio line.

Beefed up power supply: 10 amp power transistor, heavier heat sink, 3 amp diodes in the bridge, 3x filter capacitor.

Higher power final: 2SC1307, new OEM part installed

Wider bandwidth 455 KHz IF filter: Installed +/- 6 KHz wide filter for improved RX fidelity.

Variable TX power: Rear panel control, 1 to 6 watts dead key, 22+ peak.

Switchable Mic AMC (automatic modulation control): Front panel switch. AMC on position is set not to exceed 100% modulation. Off position disables AMC.

Accessory TX relay Key: Switchable relay installed, normally open contact will switch an accessory on PTT. The CB/PA switch is wired to enable this feature. The PA output jack on the rear panel is wired for Relay PTT out

Uppers/Lowers/+/-10 KHz: Front panel switches, comes with printed chart. New frequency range is 26.875 to 27.665. Please follow your regions rules and regulations when operating radio equipment

noise blanker/Lights/Display kill switch installed.

(A small, low current red LED mounted in the center panel will come on when lights are off indicating power saver mode. This greatly reduces current drain if operating from an emergency battery. A DC power cable is provided for battery hook up.)

That is what has been done to the radio, is this rig worth over $100? From the pics, it is a really nice rig and a lot of time was spent updating it.

id say it depends on who did the work . its had a lot of work done to it and IMO would really be a premium 89 , if the person that did it did quality work . i imagine if someone paid someone to do the work that they paid well over $100 . no SSB :( . but it could be a very very fine AM radio :)

The cobra 89xlr(base) and the Cobra 29xlr (mobile) use the identical chassis. The XLR-series Cobra radios were the BEST- PERFORMING AM radios ever sold by Cobra. The speech clippimg circuits in these radios worked so well, that the FCC banned these circuits in rsdios after 1978-

Good radio with quite a few upgrades, but value is fairly low since it's AM only.

If you want it really bad $100 wouldn't be insane, but I'd feel better paying $60 to $75. Still over my limit for any AM only base, but it's basically the best AM base ever produced and with all of the extras should serve you well for years.

Reactions: Plumber
This is a nice base I have one in VERY good cond. I traded a digital camera for mine ( a $5.00 2 megapixel ) I use a turner Super Side Kick Mic with mine... Nice radio. If you want a radio that looks the same with SSB go for a 2000GTL. I wouldent pay over $60 myself for the paticular unit you mentioned, I saw that AD myself...and its cond. wasn't too well.

T23

Well, i took a chance and the radio is on its way, probably around friday or so. I am still trying to figure out what antenna to get.

I wll probably wind up getting a dipole, since i wont have any help putting up an antenna, so it will be easier to lug some wire up a tree as opposed to 3 six foot sections of fiberglass, or aluminum.

If i had some help to put it up, it would be easier for me to choose. I have come across an antenna called a balcony buster, on fleabay, it would be perfect for me, but i can't find much info about them anywhere online.

I had one of those several years ago.it was a good one.I saw one some time back with a D104 at a garage sale .I was tempted but what stopped me was it didnt have sideband.They was only asking $20.00 for it and the mic.Right now I have 2 of the 135's, one 23 channel and the XLR 40 channel.And my alltime favorite, the 139XLR.People think Im crazy for likeing it better than a 2000.I prefer the looks of the 139XLR and 142 over the 2000.I had a 142 about 10 yrs ago.It bled over a jukebox a block and a half away , plus blew up the preamp in the neighbors stereo.And that was straight readio with a Turner +2 desk mic and A99 antenna.But you got a decent buy tho,it has that 858 chipJust hope there wasnt any Golden Screwdrivers in it.The man that does my work retired from Motorola.

I had one in the early 80's. It is an audio screamer, good receive also.

The dipole may not be the best choice of antenna depending on what you are looking to do.

It will work fine for DX but local rag chewing you may need a vertical.

Lots of threads on this forum and Marconi has some really great documented tests between different types of verticals.

Reactions: Paul Allen

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.