• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Conduit dipole swr issues

Common mode current is not always a problem. For a couple of decades I've used a 40 meter dipole fed directly with RG-8X. No balun. No problems of any kind.

Same with every other dipole I've ever used. I have never used a balun, and never had an RFI/TVI complaint within my house or neighborhood. Some of the neighbors live pretty close - like within 30 feet of the antenna. They report no problems.

No, it doesn't mean that you don't have any. But if it isn't a problem, don't spend any valuable worry on it. Baluns are only one way of reducing CMC, not the only one, and they have foibles them selves which can cause 'problems' if you're not aware of them. Not a viable solution all of the time, and miss-used a bunch!
- 'Doc

if you measure the current in any two points equidistant from the feedpoint and find unequal currents then you have a problem whether you're aware of it or not. if you're feeding a dipole (balanced) with coaxial feedline (unbalanced) then current is not evenly distributed along both halves and common mode current appears on the outer shield of the unbalanced feedline, period.

common mode current destroys pattern symmetry and reduces the amount of current generated in the e-field, reducing efficiency. you don't know about those problems if you are unable to measure the field strength of the pattern and/or unable to measure rf current in the elements as described above.

only when the two halves of a dipole are at perfectly opposing electrical potentials is maximum current produced. since that's not possible when feeding a balanced antenna design with an unbalanced feedline, common mode current exists on the outer shield of the unbalanced feedline, sans the required matching device/s.

properly constructed 1:1 current BalUns and rf chokes both have the ability to superimpose a high imepdance upon the outer shield of unbalanced feedline to suppress common mode current, forcing the current back into the dipole and balancing the opposing potentials of both halves of the same, restoring pattern symmetry and maximizing current in the e-field.

Last edited:
If I have no RF in the shack, no TVI/RFI complaints, and I have no difficulty making contacts, I don't have a problem.

Nor do the thousands of other balunless dipole users who get good results from their "problems" daily.

ron103067,
I really doubt if that PVC is going to 'hamper' anything. There's really no minimum distance for using a dipole. There will be particular ranges that are going to be heard better, or not heard at all, just like with any antenna, and that'll depend on propagation. You also get into the polarization thingy, if everyone is using a vertical and you have a horizontal antenna, they are just not going to be as loud (and visa-versa), until signals 'skip' at least once, sort of. Now, if you had two of them, one vertical, one horizontal, and could switch between them, you'd see the difference very quickly. "Geeze! Ain't even made one and he wants me to make two!" ;) And no, you don't have to do that... unless you want to of course...
- 'Doc

Well I figured out the swr issue got it down to 1.7to1 going to trim alittle more off this weekend maybe get it even lower. Now my problem is that it doesnt tx and rx like I think it should and the tip of the antenna is like twenty five feet at the top. it talks about 2 miles and recieves about 5 miles. Does anyone know how to get it to work better

You can always make it a vertical dipole; but then you would have to arrange its mounting differently. At least you got it to work OK.
Did you ground your radio station with a ground rod yet?
Just some things to think about...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.