• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Control cable for Kenwood HF rig

BangSwitch

Apr 15, 2007
I was looking for a cable to connect my Kenwood ts-680s to my pc to use HRD. I see them on ebay but they want way more money than I'd care to spend. Does anyone here know how to make these or know where I can get one cheap?

The original Kenwood IF232 is out of production, but there are companies that sell equivalent adapters. Most sell for about $50, though there's one cheaper one. I'm not sure if that's any better than what they're asking for on eBay.

Here's a couple of links:

IF-232PX RS-232 Level Converter for Kenwood Transceivers [IF232RS232] - $55.00 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

IF-232usb USB to Kenwood Serial Adapter [IF232USB] - $55.00 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

RS232 COMPUTER CONTROL INTERFACE CABLE for KENWOOD TRANSCEIVERS

This one has an RS232 CAT cable for $25 (scroll down to 3rd item on page):

Kenwood CAT Interfaces

Note: it appears that the Kenwood TS-140S and TS-680S radios require an optional IF-10C interface board for CAT support. If you have it, then any of the above cables should work. If not, then I recommend getting this replacement from Piexx instead:

TS140 Serial Interface Board - $89.00 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

Apparently, this is both an IF-10C and serial interface in one (i.e. no other cable will be needed once you have it).

-Bill

I'm a little confused. On the back of my 680 there are three ports with the round plug. Two are labeled acc, and one is labeled remote. I was assuming the remote port was the one I need to use. But the more I read the more it seems it might be one of the acc ports. I have a cable that will fit one of the acc ports, but how do I know what port to use? I bought this rig used and the cable came with it. Never really knew what it was for.
Thanks

One assumes the radio came with a copy of the owner's manual. If it didn't, you can download a good electronic copy of it from here:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles/File/UnitedStates/Communications/AMA/Manuals/TS-140.pdf

(I know it says TS-140, but the TS-680 is the same radio as the TS-140 except with the 6 meter band added. The same manual describes both rigs.)

From what I can tell, the connector to use for the computer interface cable is ACC1. The 12-pin ACC2 connector is for hooking up a TNC for digital data operation (packet radio), and ACC3 is used for connecting to the optional AT-250 external automatic antenna tuner. The REMOTE jack provides some remote control functions (external ALC input, control relay, extra PTT input, etc...).

Looking at the rear panel of the radio, ACC1 should be on the right side, immediately under the ACC2 jack. HOWEVER, it looks like ACC1 isn't actually present _unless_ you have the optional IF-10C interface unit installed, like I mentioned previously. (See page 39 in the manual, where it lists the available accessories.)

If the IF-10C isn't installed, the hole where the ACC1 jack should be will be covered over (though the ACC1 label will still be there). You said there are three round DIN connectors on the back of your radio. With the IF-10C installed, there should be four. Since you only saw three, this likely means the your radio doesn't have the IF-10C unit. :(

That being the case, I think your only option is to buy the replacement interface board from Piexx that I mentioned before:

TS140 Serial Interface Board - $89.00 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

It may be a little more money than you expected to spend, but it's less hassle than trying to find an original Kenwood IF-10C on the used market. The good news though is that board gives you the interface and RS-232 connection all in one (you won't need another special cable). There's some pictures and installation instructions here:

http://www.piexx.com/if10c/if10ci.html

-Bill

Actually that's very good news. If I remember correctly I do have a port at acc1 and the cable I have fits that port. I also have a cable that adapts it to usb, so I might be all set up and ready to go. I guess I'll have to try it out and see if it work. Thanks you've been very helpful.

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help. It turns out I had everything I needed to control my radio with a pc. Hooked it up and was up and running in no time. So...thanks again!
KC9LJO

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?