1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Converting a Cushcraft AR-10 into an AR-11

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by ahh, Mar 13, 2012.

1. ahh

ahh
    Expand Collapse

--Hi, all. I am selling one of my CB/10 meter antennas and will be left with a Cushcraft AR-10. What exactly should be done to "convert" the AR-10 into an AR-11? (the AR-11 is a CB antenna that is no longer made...for you guys that have no idea what an AR-11 is). I like experimenting, so what I think I will do is just add a piece of tubing inside of the smallest. I think the smallest piece of aluminum tubing is 1/2 inch, so maybe I will just add a 7/16 inside of it, and adjust accordingly. I know there is a coax stub near the bottom of the antenna, but hopefully just adding the extra bit of tubing will be enough for use in the CB range and I won't have to mess with the coax stub. Any suggestions?

2. BOOTY MONSTER

BOOTY MONSTER
    Expand Collapse

http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/pdffiles/AR-10.pdf

it's speced for up to 200 inches above the insulator/ring . i'd add 16 inches for the chicken band . you may (or may not) have enough extra over lap in the sections to get that or close to it . the manual shows the four top sections to be 4 ft long . with a 4 inch overlap they will go to 15 ft. . it doesn't list the length for the base assembly . but it is 3 ft 4 inches of vertical above the insulator you should be golden . i wouldn't be terribly concerned if it's a few inches short . and it looks like youre right about the top piece being 1/2 inch diameter , but 7/16 will be too big to fit in it . 3/8 is what you want .

Shop Steelworks Aluminum Round 3/8 x 3' at Lowes.com

#2 BOOTY MONSTER, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Se7en

Se7en
    Expand Collapse

I spent 4 hours Monday turning a old 11m big stick into a 10m stick, so i dont need a tuner for 10m. Why in the world would you go from high class to zero class?

4. tecnicoloco

tecnicoloco
    Expand Collapse

Because we are CBer's

1 person likes this.
  5. BOOTY MONSTER

BOOTY MONSTER
    Expand Collapse

YES !!! YES !!! YES !!!

CB'ers have more freedom of speech than hams !!!!

6. ahh

ahh
    Expand Collapse

--Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow I plan to buy some 3/8 tubing and add it to the antenna so I can work my CB radio friends. Hopefully, after I put the extra tubing in, it will be within the frequency range I want, and I won't have to make several trips on the roof to get the antenna adjusted, lol.

1 person likes this.
  7. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav
    Expand Collapse
    Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Because radio...is radio.
    Some guys are fine just playing with CB....or GMRS...or even frs...or...even RC cars.

I would not say that Booty, have you listened to 147.435 via the web link lately..

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=4746
    They are real liberal with the ...rules there...

Jeff

8. Se7en

Se7en
    Expand Collapse

Wrong !

Listen to 147.435 VHF or 14.313 HF.
    When im in my druggie episodes ill join in on .435.... freedom of speech oh yea ! If u listen to 38lsb its a bunch of idiots with echo and sounds effects, I wouldn't call that freedom of speech.

9. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt
    Expand Collapse
    Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

No, they just flap their lips more so it seems like that. :whistle:

10. W5LZ

W5LZ
    Expand Collapse
    Crotchety Old Bastard

Got a hose clamp and a piece of stiff wire maybe a couple of feet long? It'd be cheaper than tubing with no significant electrical differences. A metal coat hanger works just dandy.
    - 'Doc

11. BOOTY MONSTER

BOOTY MONSTER
    Expand Collapse

be sure to let us know how it works for ya .
    pics are always appreciated too ;)