1. In celebration of the launch of the new redesigned site, we just gave away a FREE antenna! Click Here to See Who Won!

cooling oil for dummy load

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by towerdog, Jan 17, 2011.

1. towerdog

towerdog one-niner-seven

What oil can be used. I would assume any oil would work so long as it is non conductive but I have yet to test any oil for conductivity.

2. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Mineral oil will work in a pinch but it offers less heat dissipation then transformer oil. I believe you can purchase a gallon of "dummy load oil" on eBay for a reasonable price. Do not use any standard oil. Even if it shows low conductivity at DC with your ohm meter, it can respond much differently with RF. They typically have other additives in them that can cause problems.
  3. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

How could a guy tell if he was sold transformer oil instead of peanut oil? Just curious.
  4. EDUK8TR

EDUK8TR Administrator

Of course you can get the Mineral Oil at most local pharmacies. I was able to get some transformer oil for free. My electric company has a maintenance hub nearby. I simply went and asked for a gallon from the supervisor. After I explained what I wanted it for he simply had me write out and sign a note of the oils intended use. He then asked for and made a copy of my license and then had one of his crew hook me up with a gallon of the oil. It never hurts to ask.
  5. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

I'll have to hit my FIL up, he retired from the local power company here.
  6. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

I have used heavy mineral oil with no problems in a home made gallon sized dummy load while running an AL-80 into it. Regular cooking oils are not recommended at all and do NOT use any type of lubricating oil such as motor oil. Silicone load oil is the best to use if you can find it. Not sure what the stuff is that the power companies use, it may be silicone based.
  7. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

You could try frying some peanuts in it and see how they taste.:LOL:
  8. linearone

linearone King of NY

What about the pure silicone brake fluid available now? Think that would work? Like DOT-5
  9. Moleculo

Moleculo Administrator Staff Member

10. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

My FIL said that they use mineral oil in the transformer shop *shrugs*
  11. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur Staff Member

Good question,one that I cannot answer. Silicone load oil is designed to efficiently transfer heat and has a very high boiling point and will not absorb water all properties that the brake fluid has however load oil is designed to be basically transparent to RF. I have no idea what the brake fluid would be like but I think I would try it at low power and carefully watch some meters and monitor heat transfer if I were to try it.
  12. jazzsinger

jazzsinger Bullshit Buster

i personally would talk to my local branch of Mc Donalds too see what spare oil they have, if the size of their fries portions (incredibly lame) is anything to go by they should have plenty spare.

when they ask me if i want fries with my burger i generally say it would be nice if i got some fries with my fries nevermind my f@cking burger.
  13. office888

office888 Active Member

Mineral oil.

I've heard of success with non-detergent motor oil as well.
  14. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Member

Well could smell like bacon frying while tuning up the rig. mmmmm just add an omlet with it. :D

I have one of the cantenna loads but never got the oil haven't needed it should go over to alabama power and ask for a gallon of their xformer oil. These folks are pretty good to help you out if you ask and explain what it's for.
  15. TonyV225

TonyV225 Supporting Member