• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

? CPI Range Boost Feed-Thru Power Rating?

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
CPI, Communication Power Inc back in the day made at least 3 different & similar outboard receive Pre Amps called the Range Boost. I've had several over the years and am using another one now.

I've run 100 watts through them for long periods with no trouble. Ya never seem to get the factory spec sheet with these things when you buy them used.

Does anyone know what the factory power feed-thru rating is on these things?

Note for fun: If anyone needs or wants a good outboard pre-amp, you can hardly beat these Range Boost models from CPI. Ultra low noise amps. They are both gain amps and attenuators (variable knob) and they significantly increase received signals with little to no discernible increase in noise. High reliability, I've never heard anyone complain about them or see one break down or go bad.

I agree, good CB pre-amp.I have the CPI Range Boost Plus with the cool On The Air light.

The circuitry is the same as used in their BC-2000 Base Console, albeit without the gain control. CPI's documentation states that the -2000 may be used at power levels up to 400W PEP...but after looking at the relays used in both the Base Console and the Range Plus, 100w is a far more realistic figure. They're the same type and contact current rating used in the Kenwood TS-5xx/8xx, Drake TR5/TR7 and a number of others of the period.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.