• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cubical Quad Wind Loading ??

n8ppq

Mar 1, 2009
Michigan
www.n8ppq.net
Dear Possibly Informed Person:

I have looked at several online pages that describe calculations involving Yagi antennas. However, when I apply these methods to the cubical quad (my antenna of interest) I get numbers greatly higher than those listed by commercial manufacturers. For example, a Cubex 3-el, 5-band gives me 10 sq ft, just counting the boom and spreader arms with no wire, spiders, or Dacron support line, and I'm using the 2/3 multiplier for round members. They report only 7.4 sq ft. I've read that manufacturers exaggerate, but this seems more than that. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Dan N8PPQ
dan@n8ppq.net

Rather predictable response by them.

I like the information on the antenna website I gave you that suggests 5 inch separation of 12 or 14 guage copper wire (dual element) for each element. It will give you greater bandwidth of 2 to 1 SWR, more gain, and better front to back.

Quads seem to require a longer boom to completely destroy a Yagi, but if constructed this way they will definitely be better than a yagi all around.

However, you cannot use the best software by EasyNec or MiniNec for tuning because your design has never been tried or the experimenter was not a Thomas Edison that persevered until success like yourself.

I applaud you.

73 de N4SLR, Frank

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?