• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

custom remote head for texas star amps

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
hi all,

im going to be installing a DX400 amp in my car soon, and im thinking of putting it in the trunk.
this would be a great place for it, IF i could control it from the driver's seat!

so, my question is; would it be possible to unsolder the switches from the amp's PC board, mount them in a small plastic or metal box, and run wires from the box to the PC board?
a length of approximately 15 feet.

im thinking some ferrite at each end of the multi-wire cable would help with any stray RF.

so, is there any big current running through these switches?
will long runs of wire mess with the amp's operation?
anything else im not thinking of?

if this works, i can put the remote box right on top of the radio and make it nice and neat.

thanks for any advice and or info anyone can offer,
LooseCannon

Off Topic

I wish there was a way to make the front panel of my RCI radio like a remote head like the IC-706 etc.

hi all,

im going to be installing a DX400 amp in my car soon, and im thinking of putting it in the trunk.
this would be a great place for it, IF i could control it from the driver's seat!

so, my question is; would it be possible to unsolder the switches from the amp's PC board, mount them in a small plastic or metal box, and run wires from the box to the PC board?
a length of approximately 15 feet.

im thinking some ferrite at each end of the multi-wire cable would help with any stray RF.

so, is there any big current running through these switches?
will long runs of wire mess with the amp's operation?
anything else im not thinking of?

if this works, i can put the remote box right on top of the radio and make it nice and neat.

thanks for any advice and or info anyone can offer,
LooseCannon

The biggest concern would be running a heavy guage length to your trunk to power the main rf amp section.Certainly do-able though.
You can extend out a control head easily enough..... I've seen certain types of wire have alot of resistance to it but I can't see any problem, except for maybey power level control.... even if you happen to have an issue you could always just add in a relay or 2 in the amp and you will have no issue with wire length. You might have to use a relay for "high/low " power and control the state of the relay with a switch at the control box.

Use shielded wire and enjoy the build. There is very little current being drawn through those switches. The trickiest part might be controlling output power levels.

You will most likly get alot of good ideas from other members wanting to dig into things deeper.

Good luck

Don't un solder the switches.
Just solder just solder wires on the points that are made when the amp is switced on and then run the wire('s) to the remote location Switch('s).
Leave the one's on the amp off and make the conections remotely.

Myself I just do the power switch.
The others I set up for the mode of operation I prefer.
In addition I also tie a fan to the haet sink wired into the switced side and if you got room tos another batterie in the back and dont for get to put fuses right on or next to the "+" conections.

Reactions: TOGAMAN
thanks for the suggestions guys.

the relays sound like the best way to go if i want to switch modes and power levels and such.

that plan however, has kind of changed.

while i might still like to mount an amp in the trunk with a remote head; i just dont have the time or resources to take on a project like that right now.

i have found that the amp actually fits quite nicely sitting directly in front of the passengers front seat.

doesnt interfere with passengers leg room at all.

so that amp is where it will stay for a while.
right now im most concerned with getting to use it without messing with the cars computer!!!

many many posts on this subject, but no real definitive answers.
seems the gurus are either not considering it important enough to work out a fix, or maybe we're all going to be screwed in 10-15 years (like we arent already!LOL) if we want to run some power in our cars.

anyway, enough venting.
when i solve my problem, i will post all the things i did so that it might help someone else.

later all,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.