• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CX3000 REALLY?!

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
Why would anyone want 5 - 7kw? All that for an s-unit + over a kw? Oh, I know. So one can talk point to point with the other station running 5k who's 300 miles away. Just pick up your phone and call the guy. Skip/DX reasons? I've heard stations pushing 300 talk over one's pushing 2k. Could 5k improve you chances of making contacts? Mother nature don't give a crap how many watts your pushing. Conditions conditions conditions is what it's all about. I've made contacts as far east to Japan and west to Turkey with 300 watts and an I Maxx 2000 7 ft off the ground. Spending $7000 on an 11 meter amplifier is a joke and anyone doing so a joker. I imagine the buyer of this amp got insulted on channel 6 and has been planning this new setup for years. Like some Evel mastermind who got kicked around in elementary school finally getting revenge. Minus the mastermind of course. Forgive me if this is you but watching that clip really erked me. If you can run 7k I'm assuming you've got a large antenna and enough property between you and your closest neighbor. It must be (little pecker) compinsatiin. Get a girl!!! 900-$1100 for a legal limit Henry and that beam you've got will work just as well as the $7000 you just dumped on that home brew 5 - 7kw. You could've taken the $6000 you saved on what is IMO a piece of junk that will inevitably break down twice a month and taken you "girl" on a nice trip to the Bahamas. The amp I'm referring to was built delivered and sent back even before the owner tested it because FB people commented about a reading they didn't like. Get this! The guy who had it built doesn't even have a station set up yet. That's right. He bought the amp before having an antenna up in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if he has yet to figure out which widebanded CB radio to go with yet Just absurd! Sorry for my rant. I hope I didn't insult anyone I like. I didn't share the clip because I'm not bashing the guy who built it. He's the smart one. Even though I personally don't think he knows what he's doing either. Theres a sucker born every minute. OK I'm done. 73

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

Why would anyone want 5 - 7kw? All that for an s-unit + over a kw? Oh, I know. So one can talk point to point with the other station running 5k who's 300 miles away. Just pick up your phone and call the guy. Skip/DX reasons? I've heard stations pushing 300 talk over one's pushing 2k. Could 5k improve you chances of making contacts? Mother nature don't give a crap how many watts your pushing. Conditions conditions conditions is what it's all about. I've made contacts as far east to Japan and west to Turkey with 300 watts and an I Maxx 2000 7 ft off the ground. Spending $7000 on an 11 meter amplifier is a joke and anyone doing so a joker. I imagine the buyer of this amp got insulted on channel 6 and has been planning this new setup for years. Like some Evel mastermind who got kicked around in elementary school finally getting revenge. Minus the mastermind of course. Forgive me if this is you but watching that clip really erked me. If you can run 7k I'm assuming you've got a large antenna and enough property between you and your closest neighbor. It must be (little pecker) compinsatiin. Get a girl!!! 900-$1100 for a legal limit Henry and that beam you've got will work just as well as the $7000 you just dumped on that home brew 5 - 7kw. You could've taken the $6000 you saved on what is IMO a piece of junk that will inevitably break down twice a month and taken you "girl" on a nice trip to the Bahamas. The amp I'm referring to was built delivered and sent back even before the owner tested it because FB people commented about a reading they didn't like. Get this! The guy who had it built doesn't even have a station set up yet. That's right. He bought the amp before having an antenna up in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if he has yet to figure out which widebanded CB radio to go with yet Just absurd! Sorry for my rant. I hope I didn't insult anyone I like. I didn't share the clip because I'm not bashing the guy who built it. He's the smart one. Even though I personally don't think he knows what he's doing either. Theres a sucker born every minute. OK I'm done. 73

I saw that video you speak of and for tbe most part I agree with you. Basically they want it for bragging rights and because they want to talk AT people not WITH them. Now having said that there are others that want a 3CX3000A7 amplifier because it will loaf at full legal limit regardless of mode. Henry made the 5K and 8K models with that tube and it was a legal ham amp. There are several home brew 3CX3000A7 amps on the ham bands running pretty much legal limit .........yes that is true.......because in grounded grid service that tube is hard pressed to make 2Kw with 5000 volts on it when driven by a typical 100 watt transmitter.Increase drive to 300-400 watts and you will see an easy 5-6Kw from it. I myself am currently working on an all-band amp using exactly this tube......a 3CX3000A7.I have several freebies that were in broadcast service and are working pulls along with a pair of good sockets and several blowers. It would actually cost me more to go with a pair of 3-500Z's LOL. All I want is my Canadian legal limit of 2250 watts or a 750 watt carrier plus modulation on those long winter nights for 80m AM.

Reactions: Sonar and LeapFrog
Why would anyone want 5 - 7kw?... I imagine the buyer of this amp got insulted on channel 6 and has been planning this new setup for years. Like some Evel mastermind who got kicked around in elementary school finally getting revenge.
I imagine nobody likes to get covered up/squashed/over powered, not saying that was the case here, but I could understand someone going through the motions in there head.

I do fine with 25W.

~Cheers~

That's fine on 11m where it is easy to gain several dB with a decent antenna.All I ever did was either 25 watts or 100 watts max. on that band. 25 watts won't cut it on 160m or especially 80m in AM mode however. Even 20m pile ups need a bit of power for the most part because most others are running in the Kw range

I do fine with 5 watts on the digital modes, I'd try less but that's as low as my rig will go. I guess I could buy an attenuator.

SSB and all other forms of voice communication are antiquated modes that waste bandwidth. They should all be illegal.

Not sure if I jumped to the other side of the fence with that statement or built a new one. :confused:

Reactions: wavrider and Sonar
Have you been under a rock for the last 30 years? A local has a pair of 3cx10000's in a suburban. Henry built an amp with a 3cx3000, it was called an 8k ultra.

Why does this piss you off so badly?
It's Overkill on top of Overkill. It's great Henry built amps capable of ridiculous output. If I were so inclined to run 8kw I'd consider a Henry. The cx3000 that was featured in the clip was not on par with a Henry. I've little doubt.

I do fine with 5 watts on the digital modes, I'd try less but that's as low as my rig will go. I guess I could buy an attenuator.
SSB and all other forms of voice communication are antiquated modes that waste bandwidth. They should all be illegal.

Not sure if I jumped to the other side of the fence with that statement or built a new one. :confused:
Are you going all digital modes now or being sarcastic?

I play around on JT65, but I'm not sure why. It is kind of neat that many long DX contacts can be made with 20 watts or less.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated