• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

d&a maverick dual power

bigun297

Feb 14, 2007
pratt.ks
Guys mabe you can help! i have a maverick with 46jg6s driving 46lq6s.My radio can be set to dk 1watt to 10dk,is this radio to much for this old of an amp?.by the way its a connex 4400hp,I love the amp cause i just spent 170.00 bucks getting it fixed,and i dont want to fry it hahahaha!any comments would be appreciated. bigun297 :?:

Not being all that familiar with 46LQ6's, I think I'd be as easy on them as possible! Assuming that a 46LQ6 is a 6LQ6 with higher filament votages, Stick to the one watt input, especially since there's a driver stage.
- 'Doc

Hahaahaha! hey jedi thnx for the reply,what i ment was i have (4) 6lq6 tubes & (4) 6jg6 tubes.I agree i need to keep the dk at 1-3 watts to not overdrive the amp am i thinking right or not?.And if you have any info on how to tune this dude up! i would really appreciate it sir!. LOVE THAT SWING! bigun :)

the D&A Maverick

those amps where built for radios that didnt do more than 5 watts or so am and 12 watts ssb

the driver tubes for that amp are 6jg6 x 4
the final tubes for that amp are 6lq6 / 6mj6 / 6je6c x 4

If its gray in color it has a keying tube in it
If its biege or 2 tone brown it has a electronic keying

you have to remember that when these amps where build. CB's only did 5 or so watts

How to tune a maverick
Turn on amp wait for it to warm up ( 10 to 15 mins )
key amp with it on hi top meter should be working
Use the meter on the amp NOT your watt meter
Tune so all load and tune knobs max the meter out (as high as the meter will read) on the back of the amp is a tune knob do the same but you ONLY need to this one once ADJ for max meter reading ( unless you change radio's )
take the top left Load control turn it clock wise so meter drops back about 3 to 4 lines on meter ( millieamps )
this is called over coupleing cleans up the audio and lets the amp swing

happy keying

Hope this helps ya

What does your connex swing? If DK is 1 watt, what is peak? If it is more than 12~15, you will wipe out your 6jg6's.

What about the small knobs on the bottom- Load and TUNE. Also the bottom milliamp meter does not work?? Any Suggestions!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.