• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

D104 REPLACEMENT CARTRIDGE

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
Has anyone replaced the mc-320 astaic cartridge with one of those XTLN-MC320's? Here's the thing I own about a dozen d104's. There wired for different rigs and I always get excellent audio reports on the one's I'm currently using. Although the cartridgs aren't broken as I'm sure I'd get poor reports if thay were. Thay are all atlest 30 years old and I'm wondering if anyone replaced there Mc-320 with the XLTN -MC-320 not because the one that was in there d104 had an issue but because it was just old. If so have you gotten better reports? I've added the audio sample supplied by the maker and seller of the new replacement crystals. What do you think?

Attachments

• xtlk.mp3
    649.9 KB · Views: 17

file doesn't work for me.
I would (and have) recorded and listened to my own audio. that way I know I'm sounding good and if I need repairs or replacement.

it's your audio, do what you want with it.

I tried it and it also said the file can't be opened. I don't know if this helps but on my (galaxy s3) screen i hold my finger on the file as opposed to tapping it and another screen pop's up. The first choice on that screen resds "open". I just tapped it and the audio sample file opened and i was able to run it just fine. I hope this helps. I probably should've sent the whole website incase someone wants to purchase on of there d104 replacements. cartridges.
I would (and have) recorded and listened to my own audio. that way I know I'm sounding good and if I need repairs or replacement.

of course it my audio and I will do what I want with it but if one could improve there audio for $30 why wouldn't thay? I tried to add the website to my posting but couldn't get it done. I wrote there web address at the bottom. . you can check out the d104 replacement cartridge and run the audio sample of old vs. new and purchase one if you like what you hear. www.rbmicro.com

i've replaced one person's element with one of these RB-MICRO units, and it was ok,
not as good as the original IMO, but he is happy with it.

every time i see a D104 thread i always mention the same thing in the interest of saving the elements that are still out there from the trash can.

if your element starts to sound bad, before tossing it, try re-melting the black wax on the point of the front of it.
this is what connects the big foil to the actual element inside.
if this connection becomes brittle or loose, your mic will sound bad, and you may think the element is junk.
many time its not.

just use a lighter to re-heat the wax, and make sure its making good contact.

good luck,
LC

loosecannothe post: 519276 said:
i've replaced one person's element with one of these RB-MICRO units, and it was ok,
not as good as the original IMO, but he is happy with it.

every time i see a D104 thread i always mention the same thing in the interest of saving the elements that are still out there from the trash can.

if your element starts to sound bad, before tossing it, try re-melting the black wax on the point of the front of it.
this is what connects the big foil to the actual element inside.
if this connection becomes brittle or loose, your mic will sound bad, and you may think the element is junk.
many time its not.

just use a lighter to re-heat the wax, and make sure its making good contact.

good luck,
LC
Good info. Out of the dozen or so d104's I own three are either needing crystal replacement or the fix you wrote of. I know it's the crystal inserts as I've put those three heads on my every day silver eagle stand with messy reports. I'm gonna purchase one of those rbmicro replacements. After installing it into one with the bad elements I will switch while local qso"ing without mentioning the change and see if anyone notices and if so what differences there are if any. I will try the wax fix on one of them too see if maybe that's what's causing the poor sounding audio. I own one da-10 astaic that sounds bad. A friend of mine owned one and when he switches between that and the d104 head on ssb as it's specifically designed for the differance is noticeable .10-da has a very nice sound as opposed to the standard head. I've looked but can't find a replacement for the da-10. I've searched with no luck. Got a leed for me. Is there maybe a better replacement for that head. Maybe a modern upgrade? As long as it fits in the bullet shaped case. Thanks for responding with the info. P.s. the aforementioned mic's are used on a 2015-03-30 16.46.20.png uniden Madison . Non modified audio clipper/transistor.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.