• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Danger Danger!!!! Do Not believe all Youtube TECHS

Tallman

KW4YJ Honorary Member Silent Key
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
I watched a modification video of a good stable top notch radio Uniden 980.
I would not automatically trust tech advice just because the person has a video camera and records his mutilation of a good radio. I will not give anymore information than that. I would suggest if you have something in mind and want to "Sling some Solder" come here to WWDX and get a discussion going.

I have had factory technicians give me bad information and if I had followed them I would have damaged the radio. One advised to set the PLL reference voltage to five volts. I knew better and did not. I followed the factory procedures and turned out the best alignment that radio ever had. I even questioned him about damage to the PLL chip he laughed and said no damages have happened ever.

Tallman

Sorry no link that I will post. I don't want to get sued.
I'm willing to bet if you go to you tube and look for 980 mods you can find the one.

I figure that any tech that brags himself up like there is no tomorrow while running everyone else down and proclaims he can do what others can't even think about are usually the ones to avoid.

This guy's narrative begins with "I know how to do this but I'm not going to tell you how." He mentions breaking the top off of the pot for the PLL adjustment. Just to be clear I do not work on radios except my own stuff. I might work on a friends radio but at no cost.
Then it is to fix something another "Technician" worked on.

Wouldn't be better to say, buy a good radio from the start with all the features so no mods are necessary?
Yup. But not every radio is perfect for every application. The only short coming the 980 has that I have seen is the ability to turn off the Annoyance BEEP.
You also know that most people will modify a perfect radio just so that it is different from everybody else's radio.

tallman, are you saying that you have service info for the 980?

if so, where did you come by it?

maybe i am confused about what was posted, but i didnt think uniden released any info about these radios, not even a schematic.

i would be very happy to be wrong about this.

also, Tim is not going to sue you. everyone here knows all about him, and every CBer that uses youtube eventually comes across his videos. Tim is a hack, and an expensive one. He doesnt come on to internet forums anymore, and comments are disabled on all his videos. you can guess why.
LC

Yup. But not every radio is perfect for every application. The only short coming the 980 has that I have seen is the ability to turn off the Annoyance BEEP.
You also know that most people will modify a perfect radio just so that it is different from everybody else's radio.
I can see that, especially about being cosmetically being different, that's sort of personalizing it. That in part is what this guy does to radio's which is cool.

I was referring more to people who buy a new Cobra 29 LTD and then go out and mod the hell out of it with extra channels, echo boards, swing kits, receive mods, tinker bells (roger beeps), bigger finals, external frequency displays, and whatever else is hip these days.

Better off buying a Galaxy 99 or similar radio with all that stuff already integrated already than hacking up a radio that was never designed to have all that stuff in the first place, should be much cheaper too.

Reactions: Tallman
I would not automatically trust tech advice just because the person has a video camera and records his mutilation of a good radio. I will not give anymore information than that. I would suggest if you have something in mind and want to "Sling some Solder" come here to WWDX and get a discussion going.

I have had factory technicians give me bad information and if I had followed them I would have damaged the radio. One advised to set the PLL reference voltage to five volts. I knew better and did not. I followed the factory procedures and turned out the best alignment that radio ever had. I even questioned him about damage to the PLL chip he laughed and said no damages have happened ever.

Tallman

Tallman
People and especially those who work on radios as their primary source of income, tend to use the word "TEC" too often. Most are tinkerers, hobbyist (with some knowlage) or outright golden screwdrivers. IMO a tec is the one who always repairs your equipment properly, and it always works as it supposed to when you get it back. Once you find that person, stick with him. When you have to give your radio back to the guy who repaired it or modified it several times before he gets it right, it's time to move on and find someone else. Eventually you'll get to that person who knows what they're doing and does it right the first time.

Reactions: Tallman
I have a friend who always wants me to modify his radios for him. I did one mod for him and he tires every once in awhile to sneak in a buddies radio for repair. One he brought me was modded to death to the point where I refused to work on it.
The one I did modify for him always brings offers to buy it from him. I just put a RFX-150 on the back of his Uniden 2510 and added the true TopGun modulator on it.
It will dead key 3 watts and swing up to 100 watts. The drive is a little low for the RFX-150, but he is happy with it. I know it sounds good because we talked on the radio as he was going home and did no lose contact at all. 20 miles with no problem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated