• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dave MAde Rod Of God Antenna *PICS*

I doubt the kinks in the coils mean anything really prolly just poor bending of copper tube.

I don't know much about antennas but the thing looks like something out of a Mad Magazine made into reality.

I'd have to see some numbers or something. I'd be embaressed to have something that large and ugly on top of my vehicle.

i didn't catch the length of the vertical on the rod of god , but if its a full 1/2 wavelength .......... if it tx/rx any better than a antron 99 6 ft off the ground its because it has the vehicle for a ground plane . it should handle a lot more power though . for over a grand my question would be why stop at a 1/2 wl .... why not go to 5/8 or the magical .64 wl . or better yet (yea , im going there) stick a vector on top ?

i wonder if joe will make a rod of jesus ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't catch the length of the vertical on the rod of god , but if its a full 1/2 wavelength .......... if it tx/rx any better than a antron 99 6 ft off the ground its because it has the vehicle for a ground plane . it should handle a lot more power though . for over a grand my question would be why stop at a 1/2 wl .... why not go to 5/8 or the magical .64 wl . or better yet (yea , im going there) stick a vector on top ?

i wonder if joe will make a rod of jesus ? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

They were never sold for over a grand the DM antennas went for $550.00

Joe didnt invent or design the antenna he just sells something that someone else made like Fatboy profiting of off others ideas.

That is hysterical on such a tiny car AND a magnet mount. He says no one can touch him?????? Anyone with a full size truck or SUV with a good solid roof mounted antenna would beat him.

all anyone with a suv or full sized truck would have to do to beat him is park on top of his suzuki. worst they would feel is a slight shudder in the steering as they drove over it.

So you are saying a 8.5' piece of copper antenna will be better than the rod of god which is a full 1/2 wave radiator that will handle how ever many Kw's you can throw at it. :confused:

In short, yes.

In long form, the "Rod of God" is a gimmick because it's almost entirely coil. Coils do a great job at turning wattage into waste. Now, in theory, a 1/2 wave antenna would have a superior radiation pattern over that of a 1/4 wave. However, a 1/2 wave antenna vs a 1/4 wave antenna in a BASE setting will produce very meager gains...somewhere in the realm of only 1 or 2 dB over the 1/4 wave.

Now lets add the huge coil to the mix. You now have a 1/2 wave heavily loaded antenna with a slightly better radiation pattern than 1/4 wave. However, that's after your AMP-OUT has been fed through about -9 dB worth of useless loading coil.

Versus the 8.5 ft 1/2" copper tube, which is an unloaded 1/4 wave...it produces a very slight gain of around or less than +1 db. In short, 1000w in is approximately 1000w radiated, maybe 1100w radiated with the very slight gain.

With the 1/2 wave "Rod of God"? 1000w in is approximately 125w radiated.

My math in this is very crude and I'm leaving out some stuff, but you get the picture.

Reactions: Slowmover
since coils used as matching devices on base antennas dont produce 9 db of loss , why does mounting it on a mobile suddenly cause it to happen ?

adding %10 to the ERP of a antenna will never be noticed on 11 meters .

" ............. In short, 1000w in is approximately 1000w radiated, maybe 1100w radiated with the very slight gain ."

LOL OK

In short, yes.

In long form, the "Rod of God" is a gimmick because it's almost entirely coil. Coils do a great job at turning wattage into waste. Now, in theory, a 1/2 wave antenna would have a superior radiation pattern over that of a 1/4 wave. However, a 1/2 wave antenna vs a 1/4 wave antenna in a BASE setting will produce very meager gains...somewhere in the realm of only 1 or 2 dB over the 1/4 wave.

Commenting on things you don't have a idea what you are talking about.

The Davemade rod of God is a full size 1/2 wave radiator, the coil at the bottom is the matching device

Now lets add the huge coil to the mix. You now have a 1/2 wave heavily loaded antenna with a slightly better radiation pattern than 1/4 wave. However, that's after your AMP-OUT has been fed through about -9 dB worth of useless loading coil.

Versus the 8.5 ft 1/2" copper tube, which is an unloaded 1/4 wave...it produces a very slight gain of around or less than +1 db. In short, 1000w in is approximately 1000w radiated, maybe 1100w radiated with the very slight gain.

My math in this is very crude and I'm leaving out some stuff, but you get the picture.

Your math and your theory need work the Rod of God isn't a loaded antenna again I will tell you the coil is a matching device the end of the 1/2 wave is a high impedance so it needs a matching network. That antenna will provide 2- 3 db from a 1/4 wave mounted on same vehicle. Go smoke some more hash and make up some more BS, the only picture I get is you are clueless about this antenna. You have never owned one nor have you ever used one and I am sure you never tested one.

since coils used as matching devices on base antennas dont produce 9 db of loss , why does mounting it on a mobile suddenly cause it to happen ?

adding %10 to the ERP of a antenna will never be noticed on 11 meters .

" ............. In short, 1000w in is approximately 1000w radiated, maybe 1100w radiated with the very slight gain ."

LOL OK

It doesnt he has no clue what he is talking about.

"Versus the 8.5 ft 1/2" copper tube, which is an unloaded 1/4 wave...it produces a very slight gain of around or less than +1 db. In short, 1000w in is approximately 1000w radiated, maybe 1100w radiated with the very slight gain.

My math in this is very crude and I'm leaving out some stuff, but you get the picture"

i think i get the picture,
your calculator is broken and your eyes aint too good either;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?