• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Diawa CN-801HP

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Anyone using the Diawa CN-801HP cross needle meter? I just ordered one and it should be here the first of the week. It is the 2Kw model. I thought about the 3 Kw model but will never run that much power and thought about the error percentage being based on full scale so figured the 2 Kw model would be better for my use. I have been so wound up getting things together for my modified Larcan television amp for 6m that I forgot all about the fact I have nothing to measure over 200 watts with except for some RF current meters. They would work but then I would have to know the exact load impedance and calculate power from the RF current and do it the hard way. Besides not too sure how the presence of an RF ammeter inline would affect the line impedance at 50 MHz.

Anyway who has one and how do you like it? Is he peak reading function decent. I know there was an issue with the early models being inaccurate but that has supposedly been fixed.

Anyone using the Diawa CN-801HP cross needle meter? I just ordered one and it should be here the first of the week. It is the 2Kw model. I thought about the 3 Kw model but will never run that much power and thought about the error percentage being based on full scale so figured the 2 Kw model would be better for my use. I have been so wound up getting things together for my modified Larcan television amp for 6m that I forgot all about the fact I have nothing to measure over 200 watts with except for some RF current meters. They would work but then I would have to know the exact load impedance and calculate power from the RF current and do it the hard way. Besides not too sure how the presence of an RF ammeter inline would affect the line impedance at 50 MHz.

Anyway who has one and how do you like it? Is he peak reading function decent. I know there was an issue with the early models being inaccurate but that has supposedly been fixed.
I run one and like it real well. I dont use the light real often because a friend has one and his burned out so I have a small gooseneck light on top of it. I know im lazy. You should be very happy with it.

I'm using 801P. Nice, good working meter.
Needs some mods.
First mod is to change PEP circuit to be more reliable, second to see SWR in PEP mode.
If you can't find that I will post those mods later.
MIke

Reactions: 1 person
PEP mod by ZL3AG:
When I investigated the circuit, found that the peak hold timing was acheived with a 220uF electrolytic with 2k ohms accross it. Considering the limited current delivery of a 358 op-amp, the 220uF was NEVER going to charge successfully with syllabic-rate DC drive. I replaced the 220uF with a low leakage 0.47uF capacitor and the 2k with 3MegOhm. Recalibrated and now marvellous. Nothing wrong with my Linear.

Mod to see SWR in PEP mode I'll post tomorrow, have to get that from my shack computer.
MIke

I like mine very much. Very easy to read and 20 watt scale is a plus. It is very heavy and resists falling back with weight of coax.

Most owners whine because it won't show reflected power in PEP mode, no issue for me. My light still works, but I rarely use it.

PEP mod in the attachment.
Mike

Attachments

• daiwa.jpg
    daiwa.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 3,054
Well today was my lucky day. I went to the post office and there waiting for me was my CN-801HP meter. It looks nice and is surprisingly heavy which is good as there is less chance of it moving from the cables dragging on it. Not only was that a lucky stroke, only three days from order to delivery from Toronto, my signature line also arrived today fresh back from the electron recyclers. Jessejamesdallas returned it but it was broken so I had it repaired. I think it looks much better now than before and it even has a fresh new color. (y)

I have one and it is accurate on dead key watts.....but mine does not register pep watts accurately.....hardy moves....really bummed me out for how much it cost. :(

I have one and it is accurate on dead key watts.....but mine does not register pep watts accurately.....hardy moves....really bummed me out for how much it cost. :(

You do have it hooked to a power sorce dont you? Its true pep and needs a 12 volt supply to run it. I run mine off a 12 volt 1 amp supply. Only pulls 770ma.

For the PEP mod there is a much simpler method to use.
Raise R 13 to 10 K it is now 2 K anywhere from 4.7 to 10 K will allow the PEP meter to linger longer at the max PEP so you can read it off asier.
I use 4.7 K not to slow the meter down too much.

The lighting of the meter is a small pcb with 2 leds on it, it is easy to slip an 100 --200 Ohm resistor in line to dim the leds further.

I just received one of these and when I tested several Cobra 29's the needle barely moved from dead key in avg mode, when I switch to PEP I get pretty good swing. When I test my Connex 3300hp-zx I get good swing on avg and real good swing on PEP. I would think that I should get some movement on avg with the cobras too?? Any thoughts?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated