• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does anybody have a machine shop?

Something to consider is that simply machining the surfaces flat is not flat enough for proper heat transfer. The surfaces should be lapped to a PERFECTLY flat smooth surface otherwise the heat transfer between the old heatsink and the new one will be very poor even when using heatsink compound. We use electrically heated aluminum dies with attached faceplates at work. They periodically get cleaned via glass beading. (sand blasting) Whenever we get a new heater plate in we have to glass bead the surface before putting them into service so that the heat transfer matches the existing ones otherwise we have one die running MUCH hotter than the others due to the mirror-like surface transferring heat so much better to the faceplate. After glass beading the surface still feels perfectly smooth however it is just "rough" enough to affect the heat transfer.
Once flat, I was planning on using a diamond hone to polish it flatter.

Remember the Galaxy 93 Twin Turbine?

GotFansSM.gif
That looks like a better design.

Once flat, I was planning on using a diamond hone to polish it flatter.

Use LOTS of water or you will gall up the stone. Been there done that. Lapping is usually done with lapping compound on a cast iron plate however very good results can be obtained with a a glass plate to ensure a perfectly flat and smooth surface.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
OK; I've held back until now.
Time for the coup de grace.
If RPC wants to put more powerful finals, then extensive mods to this surface mount board will be needed to handle what the board cannot supply. The traces won't handle the amount of current that he wants; the stock MOSFETS is running the limits of the board. At least, that is a pretty fair guess - but based ONLY from what I've seen of that radio online

That looks like a better design.

GotFansSM.gif

I think so too. I do believe this model isn't being made anymore. All the other radio's with amps have fans on the bottom. While this draws heat out it's also being trapped underneath the radio if mounted on a flat surface. This one here you can see will blow it out and away from the radio.

Couldn't you just mount 2 fans to your radio similar to that?

GotFansSM.gif

I think so too. I do believe this model isn't being made anymore. All the other radio's with amps have fans on the bottom. While this draws heat out it's also being trapped underneath the radio if mounted on a flat surface. This one here you can see will blow it out and away from the radio.

Couldn't you just mount 2 fans to your radio similar to that?
If I could find something similar I would totally use it.

OK; I've held back until now.
Time for the coup de grace.
If RPC wants to put more powerful finals, then extensive mods to this surface mount board will be needed to handle what the board cannot supply. The traces won't handle the amount of current that he wants; the stock MOSFETS is running the limits of the board. At least, that is a pretty fair guess - but based ONLY from what I've seen of that radio online
More current would require a different regulator. Nobody said anything about changing finals per se. The main point would be to increase the duty cycle and help dissipate heat quicker so if I chose to have a long-winded conversation, I wouldn't have to keep reaching underneath to check the temperature.

Whew! This thread has almost everything in it. Maybe there's a way we could slip something in here about whether 1/4 wave radials would make a difference...? :confused:

Whew! This thread has almost everything in it. Maybe there's a way we could slip something in here about whether 1/4 wave radials would make a difference...? :confused:

If we're going that route, we might as well go All In and include "pill watts" versus "tube watts" in the discussion..... :rolleyes::whistle:

If I could find something similar I would totally use it.
If you can't find it, BUILD IT!

You"re from Pa. where master craftsmen were born and were instrumental in building this country.

Digikey and Mouser sell DC fans. You have enough space on the horizontal section of your radio's heatsink to tap out holes to mount 2 inch or smaller fans with a couple small screws. Power it externally or as I said before, run the wires to a switchable source in the radio. Heat worries long gone!

DR%28EE%2980-SERIES.jpg

Last edited:
If you can't find it, BUILD IT!

You"re from Pa. where master craftsmen were born and were instrumental in building this country.

Digikey and Mouser sell DC fans. You have enough space on the horizontal section of your radio's heatsink to tap out holes to mount 2 inch or smaller fans with a couple small screws. Power it externally or as I said before, run the wires to a switchable source in the radio. Heat worries long gone!

DR%28EE%2980-SERIES.jpg
Technically I could just mount a couple fans on the bottom of my console.
21416-1383173051-00fb097bd281de7143d968463a333407_zpsqqjaqrvd.jpg

Reactions: fourstringburn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated