• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does different coax affect swr?

phantom309

Aug 23, 2015
Forgive me but the project in question is at home and I'm on the road currently.

I'm not getting into another coax length battle, so here we go.

Current setup,

Sirio performer 5000, lmr 400 ultraflex to the radio.

Soon to be adding something between the radio and antenna, say for the sake of argument a meter......, yeah a very big power hungry meter. I currently don't have a lmr 400 ultraflex jumper to go from the radio to the......, meter. So can I get away with using an old rg8 jumper for the time being until my new order comes in? Or should I just wait till the next time I get home?

Last edited:

The coax won't affect the vswr. I can't comment on if it is ok to use rg8, because you haven't provided enough info. For all I know it is a 2970N4 driving something very hungry? If a normal cb or dual final export I would run with it for now, but that's just me.

rg8 jumper

Rg8 is fine for jumpers. I use RG8/U because I prefer larger coax for jumpers and it's flexible for it's size and I use RG213/U for outdoor HF cable runs because it has better U/V properties to last longer outdoors.

You can mix and match RG8X and RG8 and 213 for jumpers and cable runs although I would suggest the antenna cable run be one long piece to the antenna, balun, etc.

Don't get too hung up on cable spec's like velocity factors and DB loss on HF bands including CB. The LMR 400 type cables were intended for the much shorter wavelength VHF and UHF frequencies due to the higher losses where the RG8 types are for the broader frequency ranges below 30 MHz. Even LMR 400 is inefficient compared to 7/8 in. Heliax cable.

You can still use LMR 400 for HF.

I am using RG8x to my dipole, its a run of about 35'. I don't feed it more than 150w. When I had the VHF stuff up I ran hard-line from the shack to the rotor point and RG8 to the antennas.

I am using RG8x to my dipole, its a run of about 35'. I don't feed it more than 150w. When I had the VHF stuff up I ran hard-line from the shack to the rotor point and RG8 to the antennas.

You should see my runs. I use RG-8x for most patch cords but also some RG-8. I have some Beldin 8214 which is an RG-8 type as well and there may even be a lost piece or two of RG-58 in the mix as well. This all eventually connects to LDF4-50 heliax to the rotor loop and then more RG-8 type from there. Since it's all 50 ohms it doesn't matter.

Thank you all for the replies, in case you wondering why I am using the lmr400uf, it because I got enough for my for free from a friend that bought a spool of for his installation. He had about 50 feet he gave away. I got enough for my run, but forgot about jumpers at the time.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated