• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

doing the Schottky diode swap on a grant xl

B

BOOTY MONSTER

ive got a uniden grant and i got a new meter and light for it , everything else seems to be clean electrically . no scratchy pots or noisy switches , outside looks like hell though . any how , i want to do the Schottky diode swap on it and then send it to sparkys for a tune and alignment . i found this post by carl and it tells exactly what i need to do , but i cant find all the components it requires to be changed .

http://www.worldwidedx.com/tech-repair/23680-how-perform-2sc2999-schottky-diode-swap.html

it looks like there were once pics there showing the locations , but i guess the host for them is down or gone . does anyone have a pic or link showing where each of the components to be changed are ?

for those of you that have done the schotty swap what differences could you tell between befor and after on your RX ?
any suggestion on where to get the parts ?
also , anyone know where to get a replacement faceplate for it , something that doesnt have "cobra 148" on it ?

thanks

BootyMon - PM me your address and I'll send you one of the 2SC2999'e' - which is a Sanyo part - and is the best part out there (for free!). I bought 60 of these suckers awhile back and have a couple left. The diodes are cheap and plentiful/easy to find - but I don't have any of those left - I'm out.

I think if you go back to the thread on the Shottky diodes, it will show the locations for the Cobra 148GTL. If i'm not mistaken, the diodes and transistor replacement should be exactly the same.

I'm gonna open up my Grant XL and compare them myself.
Will get back in a bit...

preacher man sent me a pdf with the pics . i found them on my grant xl and took a pic with the camera and marked them in the pic . thanks again for your kindness Rob ;)

grantxlboard.jpg

Well a little late, but it may help ya in the future.... I do have the Sams on the radio....

Attachments

• IMGP2713.JPG
    IMGP2713.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 32
mr. fatty , your board layout doesnt look the same as mine .
how many different boards are there for the uniden grant ?

Four that I'm aware of, Grant, Grant XL Early/Late, and the LT..
They are all close enough once you get familiar with them.

Probably should have used the 148 book but this was handy and for D1,2,21,22 happens to be close enough to easily find them...

What ever happened to Booty Monster

After repeated attempts, and asking many many times for him to stop posting topics that always created problems with other members he was shown the door.
He had many chances to simply refrain from starting it, but it was clear he could not stop.

Hope that answers your question.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.