• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual band vs. HF+6+2+440 Opinions

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, finally getting around to taking a course for tech license over the next two Saturdays. I haven't even passed the test yet, but have started thinking about getting a dual band mobile. However, my ultimate goal is to get General, and to be able to play (nearly unlimited) HF as well. So to get a rig that I can afford, I'd either be looking at the Icom 706 MkIIG (used) or a new Yaesu FT-857D to give me the features that I want. I do have the room, but don't really want to run an HF rig and separate dual band mobile in my truck. Hence the reason for wanting the all-in-one rig. What have you guys seen that have been there, done that? Pro's cons of either one of these choices? Are there better choices out there?

RT307

Another one for the 706MKIIg but yes they are getting a bt old now. I have only had one issue with mine and that was a vco pot go out of whack and unlock the PLL on VHF only. A shot of cleaning spray and a couple of twists of a tuning wand and al is well again.

I don't think the MKIIG does DCS which you may need on some repeaters. The Yaesu has it.

Thanks everyone for their input! I do like the big display on the Icom, but figure a new Yaesu with DSP now included is probably the smarter buy. I had not thought about the DCS tones, and that is certainly a major consideration for 2 meter and 440 repeaters. This stuff is pretty new to me, so I really appreciate the advice from you guys that have already done it!

RT307

If you get an all in one rig you're limited to one frequency at a time. That might be fine for you, might not. With a separate dual band radio and an HF rig you can work HF while also monitoring 2m or 70cm. Also, with a dual band radio that includes cross-band repeat capabilities you can have that option if you ever need it. The all in one rigs won't do that. If you ever want to run APRS you would be glad you had the second separate rig.

Reactions: 1 person
If you get an all in one rig you're limited to one frequency at a time. That might be fine for you, might not. With a separate dual band radio and an HF rig you can work HF while also monitoring 2m or 70cm. Also, with a dual band radio that includes cross-band repeat capabilities you can have that option if you ever need it. The all in one rigs won't do that. If you ever want to run APRS you would be glad you had the second separate rig.

Just when I think I've got it figured out, you go and throw some logical ideas in there! Great points, and more to think about.

RT307

Just for information the 706 does have a DSP option, I have it in mine.

Good to know, thanks. Not sure if the receiver is close to being the same, but I have ran a 718 with DSP in the truck. It sure didn't handle the ignition noise well at all. NB was basically useless.

I still like the large display of the 706 better than the Yaesu. One of the club members has a 857D mounted in his mobile, so I'm going to check that out soon. I guess I could go super geek and run HRD on a laptop in the mobile. :laugh:

RT307

Looking further into the club member's setup, he has a Yaesu FT-857D remote mounted, and an Ameritron controller for his Tarheel multi band screwdriver antenna. Shows to run 80-6 meters, and then he has a separate Comet dual band antenna.

BTW, I passed Tech yesterday. Didn't study for General, took the test anyway, and didn't pass. I really wasn't expecting to, but hoped I might get lucky with the right pool. Now to study for General!

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated