• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual band vs. HF+6+2+440 Opinions

FT-857 all the way as a matter of fact Im outta town and have and 856D sitting right next to me that I been using as a portable outstanding trouble free radio its a true little workhorse ;) Also the 706 had issues the number 1 issue is the getting egg frying hot. There are other issues aswell I have friends that had the icom 706 amd the base icom 746 allband radios which also had issues and after they messed around with my FT-857 and FT-897 rigs they sold the icoms and got the yaesu models above to replace them. ;)

Also the Yaesu FT-857 is the smallest all band / HF rig in production so there easy to tuck away to mount or work with or around.

Looking further into the club member's setup, he has a Yaesu FT-857D remote mounted, and an Ameritron controller for his Tarheel multi band screwdriver antenna. Shows to run 80-6 meters, and then he has a separate Comet dual band antenna.

BTW, I passed Tech yesterday. Didn't study for General, took the test anyway, and didn't pass. I really wasn't expecting to, but hoped I might get lucky with the right pool. Now to study for General!

RT307

Congrats on getting your ticket!

This might seem like a silly question, but have you established a budget for the new rig?

Congrats on getting your ticket!

This might seem like a silly question, but have you established a budget for the new rig?

Thanks Moleculo! I have not, but tend to go overboard with this stuff. :) The new Icom all band mobile looks pretty cool, but is unproven, and very expensive. I don't see myself putting a screwdriver antenna on either, but ya never know!

RT307

... but figure a new Yaesu with DSP now included is probably the smarter buy. I had not thought about the DCS tones, and that is certainly a major consideration for 2 meter and 440 repeaters...

ya might wanna take a good look at the IC 7K;)

ya might wanna take a good look at the IC 7K;)

That one is REALLY nice, and I especially like that the filters are basically built in. Awfully expensive though, especially to leave in a mobile. And I do see quite a few reviews on Eham that say they have had some overheating and fire issues. I could probably do the Yaesu FT-857 and play with ham sticks, or add a Tarheel eventually without going too overboard. Still, the Icom is worth considering. IC 7000 is $1185 bucks at HRO, vs. FT-857D for $776 at Gigaparts.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?