• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dx500 (yet another)

mikeyB

Jan 25, 2015
Hey guys was surfing for some problem solving for my dx500 and came upon this site. I have to say lots of very knowledgeable people here. Didn't want to be counted as a robot so here i am. I'm out in my rig just put in this dx500 behind my general out a 5' skip shooter on a big gumdrop and getting a weird feedback after I key mic and release (is audible through cb speaker) feedback persists until relay in amp turns off....Most times anyways sometimes continues until I key a few times....on bench in shop (dubs in illinois) 2.5watt carrier 60watt swing barefoot 110watt carrier 480swing with amp on......In truck amp is on relay is clicking on but no noticeable difference in TX power from barefoot...sink gets too hot too quickly and that weird feedback (doesn't present on barefoot)...everything wired right no warm cables....The only thing I can think of is gumdrops or antenna a bad match but I'm fairly new to all this...was lookin to enjoy some skip but I'm stuck barefoot for now still until I get this solved :(

Step one is make sure your antenna system is properly set up and able to handle the wattage you will be running. Get this right before you add the amplifier.

Next, the install of the amp has to be to the battery and properly grounded. Run a 6 foot jumper and you should be good.

9c....yeah swrs were good without amp antenna says Its 1000 watt rated and amp is grounded with #2 wire running 4 foot from battery with #8 wire quick disconnect and 60 amp fuse another 2 feet to back of amp....18' coax from cb to amp 18' coax from amp to antenna. ...All coax is rg8x all connections are soldered (power and coax) antenna mount is 2 bolt bird perch grounded to frame via double insulated #8 wire(trying to find an upper door mirror mount)with large gumdrop base ....no reliable meter with me no shops open tomorrow......don't want to buy 20 antennas or mounts to find the right one if that's the issue.....

Last edited:
sounds like oscillation,,, change the length of the coax between the amp and the radio.... make sure all grounds is good,,, radio is grounded antenna is grounded and not getting ground back down coax,,,,

Reactions: mikeyB
sounds like oscillation,,, change the length of the coax between the amp and the radio.... make sure all grounds is good,,, radio is grounded antenna is grounded and not getting ground back down coax,,,,

Yep, those highly touted Texas Stars will do that. Different jumper lengths can sweep the issue under the rug and make the amp work better.

Reactions: mikeyB
Hey I have a 3ft jumper can just add that or should I get new cable made? A double female something I can pick up easy.....A new cable have to wait for tomorrow....no soldering iron in truck :(

Thanks midnight just got done for day was about to hook up new grounds and add 3 footer....would have put on antenna side so saved me some headache lol....As far as the ground on amp goes I'm assuming putting a tech screw through a fin on the outer sink is adequate or would chassis be better? I put on fin to keep filings out of unit but if that is undesirable can accomplish other....can't understand why such a high watt device didn't come from factory with 3 wires Instead of the 2 lol....

space cowboy said:
I disagree. the first thing to do is remove the radio or the amp. 60 watts into a texas star?
not a good idea.
Mic gain way down and radio on low side the barefoot I posted was highside with mic gain up not putting all 60 into amp no way nope nope I turn mic gain all the way down and bump it up slowly until I'mjust under meter clip on amp at loudest audio Input....end up somwheres around 8:30 to 9 o'clock on mic gain knob..... feedback occurs on just carrier no audio

Hey midnight thanks for the great advice there oscillation was right on the monies! added 3 foot to radio coax....purrs like a tiger now!

Reactions: midnight special

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.