• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

eagle 515

yes, the crystal socket was put in there so they could call it a CW transmitter.

i have an Eagle VIII which is basically the same as the 515.

when they were being sold, you would get a set of instructions with it, or in the mail a few days after you received the amp that would tell you how to modify the amp for use as a linear amplifier.

i think it involved removing a capacitor or two or something like that.

i doubt there are any out there right now that have not already been modified.

secret CB showed how to do the mods in volume 4 i think.
could be wrong on the volume number.

they are an ok amp.

they do not like a high deakey put into them.
2-4 watts is all i would do. you can swing from there.

the electrolytic capacitors are getting old in them, and if you feel confident in your tube safety skills then the amp would work better if they were replaced.
A WORD OF CAUTION!!!
use ONLY the stock value of the caps.
many times when people replace electrolytic caps they use a slightly different value because they are cheaper or easier to get or whatever.

this amp uses a voltage doubler circuit in the power supply and if you increase the value of those caps; you run the possibility of smoking the tubes.
and tubes for this amp are EXPENSIVE!!!

good luck with it,
LC

Thanks for the replies.
Take a look at this bad-boy.....I think it was barely used, if at all.

p14204301.jpg

p14204311.jpg

p14204401.jpg

Reactions: beachboy
wow, that does look pretty clean, and those look like the stock tubes.

is there a fan in there?
there should be one blowing across the tubes.

if there isnt one in there, you should definitely install one.

how many watts are you getting out of it?

LC

Thanks for that info.

I got these pics.
from what I understand, I clip 2 caps off the drive, tap the coil and clip the input match?
Mine has the empty socket with the clipped coil.
But the coil is tapped also, and the mod says *instead, not also....
I gotta wait a couple weeks to get this in my hands, hopefully it makes it.
From the pictures it should be working fine, I would imagine the tubes are barely used, the chokes are mint!

Well see I guess, if it does work, I'm gonna be so pleased.

screenshot003.gif

screenshot004.gif

yeah, i read that way back when that other post was made.

ive never heard it anywhere else, but if you find something out,please post it here.

since the caps are already cut, and the coil is already tapped, i would say, hook it up and use it.
it is probably ready to go.

again, most of these amps were modified the day the person got it in the mail.

i honestly dont think one person bought one of these intending to use it as a CW transmitter. LOL

unless the seller of your amp gave you some indication that it didnt work right or something, then i would use it as-is.
Secret CB was notorious for having mistakes in their books, so i tend to take the info in their books lightly until corroborated by another source.

check in volumes 5, 6, 7, and 8 to see if they printed any corrections on that mod.

also, if the seller hasnt shipped it yet, its a good idea to fill the chassis with paper towels to hold the tubes steady. its a better idea to remove them from the amp and ship them in a separate box; packed for the moon.

hope you enjoy your amp.
LC

The Kenrich "Golden Eagle" line (Eagle 400, Eagle 500 and Eagle 515) were all basically the same, they consist of 2 X 20LF6 driving 5 X 20LF6 in the stock configuration. With a 4 watt radio, it will peak at about 400-500 watts however, if you install a pre-driver tube (6KV6A or the likes) the amp would do 750 watts dead key and would swing upwards from there.

You can put a hi-power export radio in front of the amp if it has not been modified with the pre-driver.

Look for KENRICH

What about the 10BQ5?
Is that the pre-driver your talking about?

About the Eagle 515 diagrams/schematics

Hello eveyone,

This is my first post. I have been into CB/Ham for over 30 years on and off and I am about to get back into it with both feet once again.

I just found an Eagle 515 on Ebay that was mislisted due to total ignorance. had it listed as a radio not a linear. Anyway I picked it up for $84 including shipping if you can believe that. It is in mint condition to boot.

Anyway in researching it online I came across a few things that some of you will like so I will share with you all. Here is a modification and schematic that some of you will love.

http://www.cbtricks.com/pub/secret_cb/vol_04/graphics/secret_cb_vol_04_pg66_67.pdf

It is a downloadable PDF file and some of it is hand done but it should get the job done for you all that might be interested or in need of it.

Wow, now I am about to post this I see someone else also gave the same information. Oh well I tried to get it in there quickly. You guys are fast it appears. Well give me something for effort and hello to everyone anyway.

Well glad I could help out and 73's to you all.

Sirknight AKA RED RYDER on the air

Hi. This is my first post. I have a kenrich 525 amp. Im seeing 300 watts dead key, with 700 watts pep, using my 4 watt Zacahry T Radio.
Can I hook up a texas star Modulator, and swing 30watts pep into it? If I can how much watts can I expect? Thank you

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.