• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Easiest way to achieve hi fi?

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
i read all I can about hi fi audio on this site..Robb's read was great! But what I want to know is what's the easiest way to achieve quality audio? I know there are several ways.

i read all I can about hi fi audio on this site..Robb's read was great! But what I want to know is what's the easiest way to achieve quality audio? I know there are several ways.
The easy way is not the best way, the "hard way" is the best way.
(Learning & Applying Knowledge Through Experimentation).

You never mentioned direct injection of audio, so maybe this is all you need.
EASY: Change out a few capacitors (like GoldFinger's mod) and use a better microphone, simple huh?

Find a translator and this may be all you need, the HiFi D104M6B!
:ROFLMAO:

I'm kind of being funny, but those guys know what they are doing to that microphone.
It doesn't look like they finish the mod in the film but I believe the man is talking on one modified before the filming started.

Last edited:
Why not get used to the radio setup the way it is ns try to make the best it can be with the stock mic and such. With a good mic, and proper mic gain settings you'd be surprised ar what you can accomplish. Yes you can get outboard gear and run that. But rather than spend all that money, look into a different mic that will sound good with your particular radio. Learn how things operate and go from there. Been many threads on how to improve transmit quality of your signal as of late, just have to search a little. These are JMHO's. Good evening.

Reactions: Bearcat
What exactly is direct inject? Are you wireing in audio and bypassing or just changing caps? And who does this kind of work?

Like on video gates you hear 131 mustang and bass master? Or Stacy Adams? That's the sound I like? Can u even run power with this stuff?

I've done some mild "hi-fi" work on my Cobra 2000GTL. What I did is change out a couple capacitors in the mic audio amp section to extend the lows and highs. I also modified my D104 in this fashion, too. I get a LOT of compliments on the audio quality. It's crisp and full without sounding too flat or "bassy".

~Cheers~

What exactly is direct inject? Are you wireing in audio and bypassing or just changing caps? And who does this kind of work?
Direct Injection deals with running "studio rack gear" (mixers, equalizers, and professional studio microphones) and bypassing the limitations (Audio Bandwidth) of the mic input/amp section of the radio by feeding audio directly into the modulation schema used on that radio.

I believe transformer modulated radios (like Cobra 25/29) do not work as well as the Ranger radios (Galaxy/Connex) for direct inject because the way the modulation occurs is different. The Ranger radios may use a type of "darlington transistor pair" while the Cobra 29/25 (And Most AM Only Radios) use a transformer to modulate the carrier.

You could use power with these techniques, Motor Mouth Maul uses his own custom modulation setup (Similar to the "Asymod" asymmetrical Hi-Fi AM modulator board) that can be installed in AM only radio and allows for great asymmetrical modulation and WIDE audio bandwidth to be transmitted from a once humble little radio.

That's how some of these guys sound like professional broadcast studios, as always though there are more ways than one to accomplish this.

Best Regards
-
Leap

Last edited:
At least I am being honest. Heck they are only my opinions. And they are as honest as I can make them. I'll ease up on them for sure. Didn't realize it bothered anyone. Just the was I am. Anyhow. Have a good one gents.

Reactions: ExitThirteen
Take the top cover off the radio and start cramming cash in, the more money you can stuff in the better you'll sound.;)

On a more serious note keep in mind that wider audio bandwidth doesn't make you sound better, it gives a blank slate that more accurately reproduces the audio you put in. If you feed it over processed crap over processed crap is what you'll put on the air. No matter what method you choose it will be important that you take your time and learn how each piece in your audio chain works, more is not always better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?