• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Elecraft KX3 vs. Yaesu FT-817

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Today on the Elecraft list, someone asked some questions that compared the upcoming KX3 to the Yaesu FT-817. Here is Wayne Burdick's response:

"The KX3 is about 30% smaller and lighter, with over twice the front panel space, one third as much RX-mode current drain, nearly three times the max power output, 32-bit floating-point DSP, built-in paddle and tilt stand, and maybe 30 dB better RX dynamic range"

He also mentioned that he 2m connector will be an SMA connector far enough away from the HF BNC connector to allow both to be connected.

Interesting stuff!

I would take the 817.

The Elecraft is just to poorly designed as a field use rig. It looks like someone pulled the face off a standard rig and made a portable unit out of it.

If you drop that puppy your gonna cry.

I am not trying to be an ass, but I think it's just plain stupid looking and is out of its element.

Having seen and played with the KX3 at Dayton I would agree that the 817 would take more abuse but KX3 has a better receiver and filtering.

The 817 is not a ruggedized radio, I own it and if you drop that 817 in the same spot you drop a KX3 you are going to cry also.

I do not see the 817 as being able to take "more" abuse.

Now I am not saying one is more durable than the other, I am just stating the 817 is just as delicate I am sure.

If Elecraft and Yaesu want to give me one of each to perform a drop test a few times, I am all for it. :p

Maybe Elecraft and Yaesu should contact New iPhone 4S Cases, iPad 2 Cases & More // OtterBox.com for a customized case :LOL:

Not sure these radios are really in the same class, but as a portable radio that does go to 154mHz, I'm really turned off by the 817's lack of ability to receive NOAA weather broadcasts.

Seems Yaesu missed the boat on this one - a portable 'emergency' radio that can't do NOAA? (and I don't think that dialing in the opposite image frequency is really an option at -85dB)!

BTW, I have owned an 817 and currently have a K2.

my 2cents

Tim W5FN

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.