• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Electrical Question

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
I want to make a short extension cord connection from my dryer to plug in and have a female connection like in wall, but with a short foot or two cable extension like wire cord used for connecting the dryer directly into the wall and another wire come out with a different connector to it running into house wall jack so can plug my amp and dryer at same time into same outlet for dryer but not run at same time. And add a 20 amp inline fuse or something on each side for wire new extension cord that is going connect to the amp, also need to know what gauge wire for an extension cord I will need running 100' or less to hold 240 volts to 250 volts at 20amps min. And run it like an extension cord and look like and extension cord as well and be portable.

Prob is cannot make alterations to place ect, so thought do like that and put it into non metallic conduit so it can be unplugged and semi portable but be safe in this way. This way it has a separate lower fusing of 20amps vs the average the dryer has for amplifiers safe operation.

Install a proper 240 volt 20 amp outlet and be done with it.. At least that meets code.

best advice

Prob is cannot make alterations to place ect....

well, you can roll your own. but,............
NEC calls for 10/3 for runs up to 150 feet. add the 220 VAC twist lock Hubbel connectors.
this will be an extension cord.. 10/2 no longer meets NEC standards.
be aware the is not going to be cheap .

I would make a deal with the landlord using a certified electrician, or,.... move the amp near the existing 220 VAC plug.

... or rewire the amp to 110, but then you are looking at about 40+ amps @ 110 vac:eek:

We have been down that road before. The amp has fuses for protection. The breaker or fuse in your panel protects the wiring. YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL A FUSE OR BREAKER INLINE WITH THE AC SUPPLY TO YOUR AMP IF IT IS FUSED AT THE PANEL.

If breaker outlet inside is 60amp or 30 amp when specs talk 15 or 20 amp breaker, would this be ok or downsize it or the fuses will be enough in amp period?

You want the breaker to be the proper amperage as you want it to trip if there is an issue. Too much breaker and it won't trip if it's not above the amperage rated on the breaker. You need a breaker 1.5 times what you're using. So a 15 amp draw at 110vac you'd want about a 25 amp breaker. 1.5 times 15 amps is 22.5amps. Gives a little cushion but not too much. JMO. Same goes for 240vac. But amp draw drops in half although more efficient for some equipment, still draws the same as a 110-120vac circuit at twice the amperage. I hate AC power. Will gladly stick my arm down into a 24vdc 2000 amp power plant, but even 110 at 30 amps scares the piss out of me!! Both can kill you, but I just am more comfortable around DC power I suppose. Been hit with 25amps 120vac and it zapped the shiat outta me. Cut a wire that was supposed to be dead!!! Needless to say I cursed the crao out of the guy on the other end telling me it was dead circuit. Man did that hurt. Seen some nice tools get welded onto DC power plants, some even totally melter or welded together. Funny stuff in a way to see a guy that doesn't know any better take a regular wrench to a power plant of the size mentioned above and then fired short between the 2 main plates for pos and neg. having a long wood broom handle was a handy tool at times LOL. But to see the look of the guys new tool destroyed is about priceless!!

You should not simply "T" off the dryer outlet. There is the potential for a fire if you have the dryer running and whatever else you have hooked up (Amp?) running at the same time.

One option is to simply unplug the dryer when you want to plug in the properly sized auxiliary appliance extension cord that runs to the other appliance (Amp?) Then unplug the extension cord and plug back in the dryer when you want to run it. The extension cord must have suitable sized wires as mentioned above. So if the dryer breaker is a 30 amp double pole 10/3 SO/SJ cord should suffice.

Sorry, I know it sounds doable to simply "T" off the dryer outlet, but don't. If there is, God forbid an incident, you could be at fault for improperly overloading the outlet.

"Temporary Installations
Article 590.2 All Wiring Installations"
"(A) Except as specifically modified in this article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations."

The other option is to make a suitable rated external enclosure to house two outlets that are controlled by an electrical "transfer switch" that switches between the two outlets so only on will run at a time from the supply outlet in the wall. This would keep you from having to unplug the wires every time you wanted to run the other appliance but at a considerable co$t.

http://www.grainger.com/product/LEV...&cm_mmc=PJX-_-GraingerBrand-_-43737-_-Generic

Been hit with 25amps 120vac and it zapped the shiat outta me. Cut a wire that was supposed to be dead!!!

I learned the hard way to trust no one but myself when dealing with high voltage.
After that little stunt I would not start work on ANY equipment without shutting down the power myself, and placing MY padlock on the control panel.
My wake-up call came when I got across a live 480 volt 3 phase source once that a "co worker" had assured me was not live.
Lets just say that when I got home that day, I thanked my wife for everything she has done for me over the years.......... that day I was very lucky, and do not want to ever risk it again.

Jeff

Was thinking just to make an extension cord setup rather than do it way should reason is going to demo the place next year and put in a totally new place and set up everything like it should be.

I was thinking that or making one to handle 50amp and put connectors on it that I need or will prob only use

I learned the hard way to trust no one but myself when dealing with high voltage.
After that little stunt I would not start work on ANY equipment without shutting down the power myself, and placing MY padlock on the control panel.
My wake-up call came when I got across a live 480 volt 3 phase source once that a "co worker" had assured me was not live.
Lets just say that when I got home that day, I thanked my wife for everything she has done for me over the years.......... that day I was very lucky, and do not want to ever risk it again.

Jeff

Years ago got zapped threw me through the room when I tried stupidity, and stuck a screw driver in a live amp and making an adjustment on a coil, wrong answer too when you slip and screw driver hits a energized component. Yipe

Jeff

You were lucky in more ways than one. Try that here and IF you survived you would have been fired and charged by Labour Canada for failure to follow lock-out/tag-out procedures. Every day I have to deal with 480 volt 3 phase 1200 amp services and the first thing we do is put our locks on and not rely on someone else's word. 1200 amps is a LOT of power behind that 480 volt supply and it tends to just melt things in a flash and I do mean FLASH and BANG to say nothing of what it does to a person.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated