• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ELITE LINE TX 2250 AMPLIFIER...CLASS AB OR CLASS C ?

need HELP!

May 3, 2016
KARRATHA... WESTERN AUSTRALIA.
I was wondering if someone could help me with some information on the Elite Line TX 2250 Amp.
Would like to know if it is AB biased ?
Can't seem to find the answer anywhere.
Here's a link to a youtube video... it shows the model of Amp in question + internal view .
Hope someone can help.

It looks like it's biased. A quick and dirty check is to check for voltage on the bases of the transistors with the amplifier keyed. It's best to manually key it by shorting the keying transistor to do this.

Reactions: need HELP!
I've read so many posts about this very question. Not pertaining to the particular amplifier in question, but just mobile amplifiers in general.
I think that most mobile CB 11 meter amplifiers are Class C. Except for the Texas Star brand (only from what I've read here and there). I know it's not likely that TS is the only company building classes of amps other than C. And there must be other mobile amplifiers builders that build amps other than Class C. There are many factors that have kept me away from mobile and even base transistorized amplifiers for that matter. And this class confusion is the biggest reason I stay away from any interest in (11 meter CB radio) transistorized amplifiers. Whether they are plug-and-play base units or need an external power supply. I'm not even a hundred percent sure of the classes that the old CB era radio craze (base) amplifiers are. But from what I can gather they are not Class C. Weather base or mobile, these are another nightmare all together. Not only because of the poor build quality but the age of them. Money pits with no doubt! Unless you can do whatever is needed to keep them running with your knowledge. If I were ever inclined to install a set up in the automobile I would most likely go with one of the Texas Stars. And that would be after lots of research and question asking. If my research is correct one can if they've the knowledge or a tec they know and are confident in could actually change the amplifiers class from c to b, b to c, b to ab ECT ECT. I think I watched a YouTube clip of an amplifier class modifications by a guy who goes under Scorpio (on YouTube). He I believe is on the west coast and my extreme lack of knowledge gives me little right to say he does good work. But I don't think I would have any problem sending him a transistorized I owned if indeed I did own one. He certainly seems like he knows what he's doing and seems to do work very neatly. Good luck on figuring out the class of that amplifier. I guess the best answer to most of the questions about what class these amplifiers are and that includes every single one that I own is that they have absolutely no class at all. Ps I've had 3 surgeries over the past 2 months and another procedure yesterday. These fucking loopy pills my doctor is feeding me are definitely taking there toll. I hope I didn't offend the OP'er. My reply and opinion on the class of these amplifiers in all honesty comes from my experience (tube base). And of course this is just my opinion. Did anything I say actually make sense at all? 73 and God bless. I just recalled. I actually do own a transistorized amplifier. It's a straight 1446 X4. It is branded Palomar ab1 (not joking). It has a built-in 35 amp power supply and although I haven't had any reason to use as of late, when I did run it I got very good on air reports. I once owned four of them. I got them from a friend who watched them fall off the back of a truck in the day. I sold three and kept the best one for myself. I guess since they're totally illegal who ever built them could advertise them as being whatever class they think will get them sold quickly. AB1 BIASED. Yea right. It's also advertised in larger printed numbers across the top PALOMAR 500. I must say with 11/2 DK and 15 pep it came very close to 500 pep on AM and a bit more on SSB. Go figure. Good morning and God bless. Sorry for the rant.

Texas star is biased AB if you check the idle current. Their bias circuit regulation sucks and will drift towards class c when you apply drive. It's just good enough they don't sound choppy on ssb.
That's quite disappointing. So even though they are biased class AB, after a couple of minutes of use it changes class. And to Class C. WTF! If I want a Class C amplifier I'll purchase one. Thanks for that information. Just for that reason and it is a very good one i would've never purchase a Texas Star. Unless of course I wanted a amplifier that oddly went from one class to another after a few minutes of use. Go figure! Are there mobile transistorized amplifiers out there being made ? If so I am curious as to what company might be producing them. When I hear these X-Force and the like I can't help but changing the channel. Most people running those class seat amplifiers sound horrible! Not only because of the amp and it's cheep poorly-built garbage add the proverbial bypassed/deleted modulation limiter CB, and a power microphone that can be turned up to a 10 but somehow the operator managed to get it up to a 15 and all you have a garbage station that is operating not only on the channel it's shooting for but anywhere from 1 to four or five above or below that frequency. I truly believe that there are operators out there that use Splash as some sort of proof positive test that they have an excellent loud and clear sounding station. They don't have any clue about spurious emissions nor do they care too. And on top of that all they scream! And they scream loud! Very few stations left on a.m that can talk softly in a Normal manner as if you're speaking to someone face-to-face. It always seems like they're screaming at a friend that's three blocks away. SKIP LAND! SKIPLAND! SKIPLAND! SKIPLAND! SKIPLAND! SKIPLAND!! 000! 000! 000! 000!!!!! YOU GOT A COPY ON MR DB! MR DB! MR DB! MR DB! MR DB! MR DB!!!! IN THE BUCKEYE! IN THE BUCKEYE! IN THE BUCKEYE! IN THE BUCKEYE! IN THE BUCKEYE! AND I JUST GOT DOWN!!!!!! Kill me now. 73

Best AB amplifier I ever had was a 2 pill Joker Amplifier that had regulated AB bias. It was also meticulously tuned so that a higher % of your watts were actually on the frequency you were talking on. Wish Peakaboo was still building.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated