• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fatboy 1x2290 drive 2x2879 mobile 500 watt Radio Linear Amplifier

Red Ranger

Aug 16, 2008
anyone know if I can drive it with a stock 4 watt radio? (AM)

Anyone know where I can find the specs for this linear? Will a 25 amp power supply be enough?

Transistors 1 SC2290 driving 4 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H **4 1/4**" x L 11 x W 6 3/4"
Amp Draw (continuous) 40
Amp Draw (maximum) 85
Class C
SSB Delay available
Pre-amp available
no Driver Required
Power Output (RMS) 300 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 850 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) N/A
Driven Power (PEP) N/A

A 2-3 watt dead key and 12-25 watts PEP is plenty for an amp with a built in driver.

A little confused here. Is it a 1x2 or is it a 1x4?

1x2
The competition 1x2s are flakey as far as output dead key goes......the key will change radically as a 1/2 watt change in input will raise the output key CONSIDERABLY!
To run one properly you turn the variable wide open and set the key with a variable key in the radio. You have to run a meter in line all the time when running one of these. Terrible amp for a beginner like Red Ranger......2x2879 is a much better choice.
When I was running a Davemade 3 pill when I first key it at 100 watts it was great but after it heats up the key went to 250 watts......way too sensitive to slight input changes.
I hated that Davemade 3 pill so much that I bypassed the driver stage and ran it as a 2 pill and liked the results.....less output but stable as a rock.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Base station amps also, and they have two models, the regular and the "HD" that is for dual final radios. Fatboy also offers biasing and ssb for extra dough.

The last Fatboy I saw had handles on it... Looks like the new ones have no handle option?

What would be a good starter base amp, and do I need all the options?(or is it a super wack pack scam?)

A 1 driving two is trouble.....run away from that
A one driving 4 is better but if it is a "fat boy" base amp you can almost bet the power supply is NOT regulatedand I would go for the HD plain jane 4 pill......
I do not like amps with built in drivers.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N
I'm looking at the Base station amps also, and they have two models, the regular and the "HD" that is for dual final radios. Fatboy also offers biasing and ssb for extra dough.

The last Fatboy I saw had handles on it... Looks like the new ones have no handle option?

What would be a good starter base amp, and do I need all the options?(or is it a super wack pack scam?)

A 1x4 Fatboy base is nice and is very stable. For some reason amps with built in drivers are much more finicky than a high drive and driver in separate cases.....why, I don't know.
I did not know that Fatboy does different biasing other than C. If you REALLY like ssb get a Class AB(1) biased amp and if you like AM AND SSB get a class B. I'll have to look into a Fatboy AB1 amp if they make one....learn something new every day.

A 1 driving two is trouble.....run away from that
A one driving 4 is better but if it is a "fat boy" base amp you can almost bet the power supply is NOT regulatedand I would go for the HD plain jane 4 pill......
I do not like amps with built in drivers.

Jeff

On those types of amps a regulated power supply really isn't needed. If the power supply is sized correctly it'll float at 18-20 volts but when keyed it'll drop to 14.5V. Big regulated 100-400 amp supplies cost a king's ransom.
I HATE amps with built in drivers.
If you really get long winded all the time then buy a few extra rectifiers because you will go through them.

1x2
The competition 1x2s are flakey as far as output dead key goes......the key will change radically as a 1/2 watt change in input will raise the output key CONSIDERABLY!
To run one properly you turn the variable wide open and set the key with a variable key in the radio. You have to run a meter in line all the time when running one of these. Terrible amp for a beginner like Red Ranger......2x2879 is a much better choice.
When I was running a Davemade 3 pill when I first key it at 100 watts it was great but after it heats up the key went to 250 watts......way too sensitive to slight input changes.
I hated that Davemade 3 pill so much that I bypassed the driver stage and ran it as a 2 pill and liked the results.....less output but stable as a rock.
Been researching an affordable amp for SSB, I know this is over ten years ago, does anybody know if the Fatboy 1X2 has had the bugs worked out? I only wish I could find a texas star 350HDV that I could buy reasonably

A lot of people run something like this:

What radio would you be using with it?
I'm running a Galaxy 93T, to be honest I haven't heard many good reports on the KLV amps other than they're easy to blow up? I've heard that thy are kind of fragile. I don't know why amps are hard to find in stock! Texas stars are hard to find and price is gouged! I don't mind spending $$ for a GOOD amp because I don't hammer them, I want something I can idle along and make it last you know?

I'm running a Galaxy 93T, to be honest I haven't heard many good reports on the KLV amps other than they're easy to blow up? I've heard that thy are kind of fragile. I don't know why amps are hard to find in stock! Texas stars are hard to find and price is gouged! I don't mind spending $$ for a GOOD amp because I don't hammer them, I want something I can idle along and make it last you know?
For the 93t, you would do great with a four pill amp. The amp in the link is for a stock cb, so it won't work for what you are doing. I run an X-Force 4 pill with my Stryker 955, and have a Carl Built 4 pill on my Icom 718. Carl is the former owner of X-Force and has a great selection.

For the 93t, you would do great with a four pill amp. The amp in the link is for a stock cb, so it won't work for what you are doing. I run an X-Force 4 pill with my Stryker 955, and have a Carl Built 4 pill on my Icom 718. Carl is the former owner of X-Force and has a great selection.

I've been looking at them, but it says all baskets are closed till they get caught up! I've sent an email inquiry so maybe?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.