• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

first down under contact :)

butch

Feb 13, 2012
hey all problably not a big deal for you guys but finally i made a contact to austrailia a few hours ago on 27.385 LSB very exiting i am relativly new to this hobby but its good to know all my hard work i put into my mobile setup finally paid off.

Always nice to make that first long distance contact, congrats, it will only get better in the next year or so.

butch,
Tip#1 - Listen out on ch 35, that is where there is also lots of guys from Australia and also turn that MODE selector to the upper side once and awhile.

Tip#2 - Ch 33 (usb) is the main talk channel for the 224 div. If you hear a lot of chatter and can't understand what they are saying, then you have found the Kiribati Islands.

I don't know what state you are in, but if the conditions are there for you, give the channels I mention a try.

Great Contact!!.....(y) those boys sure talk funny! they have an accent that makes my Texas drawn seem normal!! Thats more than a few mile contact for sure.
I also run a mobile station....Mobiles are not power houses due to antenna size and height but it works well from here in south Texas. if conditions are right a mobile will get any contact i can hear most of the time. during big pile ups sometimes the bases have a stonger signal into the DX but a with little waiting i can normally get the contacts. i listen sometimes for 5-10 minutes and as the piles clear out and the high wattage guys get the contacts i make a call and more than not get the hook up.

Agreed with DXMan, we do use channel 35 LSB as a regular call channel, so give us a call there. We often get domestic skip in at the same time as north pacific skip, although it seems to shift between the two, so there is usually someone on 35.

We often go to 38 LSB to call you guys, but lately there has been so much noise, everyone talking at the same time, signals seem to get lost in the mud.

If you are hearing strong Hawaiian stations (59 36 comes to mind) Australia, New Zealand and the south pacific are almost certainly around.

73's

(y)

oh really i never hear much on channel 35 exept on AM it seems like conditions arent as good for us up here at higher latitudes but like i say i am relitivly new to this hobby seems like i have better luck on AM 28 and Am 26 than i do on sideband lately

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.