• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fixing the Galaxy D88

The guy definitely needs some constructive hobbies. People that clown around with gun powder scare me. He might be related to Timothy McVeigh.

I watched the guy on the discovery channel last night chuckin them anvils with his grandson and he's all over the internek so I don't consider him as much a threat as many on this forum.lol

1 lb. of red dot and 100 lbs. of iron = fun.

Been busy as hell with work recently 60-70+ hours a week.... recently caught a break and built the external case for the galaxy. vacuumed it out and plugged her in and hooked up my SWR meter. Everything seemed fine except figuring out where I wanted to be on all the settings. after a few minutes digging around in this rat-hole I call A brain I figured it out for normal cb operation.

I let it warm up on power for a few minutes to make sure nothing was going to puke from just being hooked up. after about 8 minutes I grabbed the mike and turned the squelch down. at 3 am here its not unusual to hear nothing but dead air on every channel, so I found channel 16 which is always dead so I wouldn't bug any one.. hit the transmit button and.....

it squealed briefly, pegged the needle, then started popping power surges about 1 per second. now the needle is stuck on 30db

on the bright side the freq counter seems to work..... and it will power up.

now to plan My next move... I think digging up a local cb shop may be a good idea. unfortunately I don't think there areany decent ones in this area outside of truck stops.

I think I figured out my problem. the connex mic is wired different from the galaxy'e mic wiring. duh me. I just assumed they were all the same and plugged it in. so now I need to rewire a mic. or buy a new one for the galaxy.

connex and galaxy wire the same ,but the mic could have a problem either way .try a different one .or check the wiring

1-shield
2-audio-white
3-tx/red
4-ground/black

Reactions: RustDemon
well. I guess the website I looked at had the wrong wiring. I looked at some others and your right about the wiring. but the powermic works great on my connex. maybe I can't use a power mic on the galaxy. I'm going to have to look into that some more. thanks for pointing that out.

by the way I did wind up moving that frequency board back to its original position.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.