• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Frequency counter

NF822WNY

Aug 4, 2017
Western NY
I have a Galaxy 2517, I am looking for and external frequency counter as an addition to my base set up. Preferably 6 digit counter. What does everyone suggest? Links would be great!

Reactions: Mattjosie4ever

For a radio that has one on the front panel?

An external counter will only read on AM transmit, with the mike gain turned down. Modulation will disrupt the reading. And sideband won't show anything useful.

Most folks consider the internal counter display, with a continuous reading on receive to be more convenient.

Hooking up an external frequency display that reads while receiving will require mods to the radio.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
https://www.zl2pd.com/files/PLJ-8LED_Manual_Translation_EN.pdf
https://www.zl2pd.com/files/PLJ-8LED_Manual_Translation_EN.pdf
and here for all the pics

https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Red-PL...er-0_11000MHz-p-1115710.html?cur_warehouse=CN
https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Red-PL...er-0_11000MHz-p-1115710.html?cur_warehouse=CN
once I get a moment to finger out wtf goes where. I do know that the SSB offsets will be odd. I do know it has sum and difference capability for the IF/TX offset.

So I don't have any idea if it works or how it works yet...

Nomad, been meaning to talk to you about this sushi/kimchee junk...

For a radio that has one on the front panel?

An external counter will only read on AM transmit, with the mike gain turned down. Modulation will disrupt the reading. And sideband won't show anything useful.

Most folks consider the internal counter display, with a continuous reading on receive to be more convenient.

Hooking up an external frequency display that reads while receiving will require mods to the radio.

Why would the Galaxy 2517 have an external jack for a frequency counter if there was not a reason to use it? The internal counter is only a 5 digit display. I would like an additional display with at least 6 digits to ensure correct frequency.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I have had to re-tune so many Galaxy radios. The frequency counters are often off quite a bit. If the radio is properly tuned you don't need a frequency counter on the radio at all. That is if you are not free banding. I bought one for pennies on the dollar because the person could not communicate on SSB with it. It was off so far you could not hear other SSB transmissions at all. They bought it with the clarifier opened up and it was a real hack job.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
The reason this radio has a RCA socket on the rear marked "Frequency counter" is a total mystery to me.

The very first "black radios" like the Galaxy SSB and Galaxy Echo SSB models had this jack. But neither of those had a built-in frequency display. Made sense for those radios.

We routinely use that jack for a keying relay to use with your amateur amplifier. We mount a board with a relay that activates from the radio's internal transmit-only 8-Volt supply, and this eliminates the "foot switch" problem.

But that's all this jack is good for that I can see, to repurpose for other uses.

Galaxy 2517? when did that display ever have anything to do with that radio's actual TX or RX frequency?
Any external frequency counter will suffer from calibration issues.
The https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Red-PL...er-0_11000MHz-p-1115710.html?cur_warehouse=CN
Will suffer from the same issues.
The chances of any radio you talk to being "on frequency" are vanishingly small.
When calling CQ I am on frequency and anyone can dial to me.
When answering CQ I do my best to zero beat the station I'm talking to. nothing else matters.

Now if you're a "freebander" and want to know where you're at 6 digits are plenty. You don't care where you are anyway or you wouldn't be outside of part 95 allocations . So why would an extra two or three digits matter unless you wanted to call another station "off frequency"?

If you want an accurate indication of frequency beat a stand alone counter to WWV, buy a standard or lock to GPS. Galaxy radios are never going to be on any frequency other than the one they're on .

Now where the hell were my meds...

The six-digit displays that Galaxy sold to plug into your non-counter Galaxy radio are set up for this.

The "FC-390" display comes with a mating socket that has wire pigtails for hooking it to a radio that lacks the 6-pin socket found on Galaxy/Connex models it's meant for.

Wiring that harness to the 2517 and bringing the 6-pin socket out the rear panel would do the job.

Probably the simplest way to do the job you want done. The rear-panel "counter" jack is just not wired to do this. That jack simply taps off of the radio's antenna socket.

I have a Galaxy 2517, I am looking for and external frequency counter as an addition to my base set up. Preferably 6 digit counter. What does everyone suggest? Links would be great!

https://www.copper.com/cart/Meters/FC347-Plug-in-Freq.-Counter

This frequency meter is manufactured for the Galaxy Radios. It will plug into some Galaxy radios that already have the 6 pin socket for it.
I have personally wired them into about a dozen Galaxy radios that did not have the socket. It is fairly straight forward if you are adept at soldering and following the instructions posted on cbtricks,com .....
You will need to install the receiver socket into the back of the radio chassis, which is also not hard.
The frequency counter is always live, by that I mean it will show you frequency on AM and SSB without keying the microphone to have a carrier. I have several and they work very well helping you keep the Galaxy radios on frequency.......

I can understand WHY you may want a 6 digit freq counter to ensure you are in freq.
BUT as posted several times the only frequency you will actually be on is the one coming out of the antenna connection.
Not being rude just repeating that GALAXY radios are famous for drifting, it does not matter how you align them they drift on SSB sometimes tremendously.
Hell my siltronix 1011C is more stable than a galaxy, after it is warmed up of course.

Galaxy alignments procedures even tell you to turn radio on and let warm up before aligning it, 30 minutes warm up is mentioned in some alignment instructions.

SO if you want stability, and far superior transmit and receive then get a real SSB rig look for an amateur hf rig on the used market, can be found for about the same price as the high powered drifty galaxy rigs.

there are also modifications that can be done to the freq counter where it does not display the 2 in the freq display but displays the last 5 digits
so 27.385 after modification can read 73850 , again this is only as accurate as the frequency counter that is inside the radio.
Most galaxy freq counters are like traffic lights in Italy, for amusement purposes only and really does not have any other function.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated