• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FT101E Lazy S Meter

siltronix_man

Jan 19, 2012
Looking for some help,seems one of my 101e has a lazy meter meaning meter will not move unless a real strong signal comes in ive tried the static buildup thing with a dryer sheet that did not work s Meter adjustment also did not work anyone else got any ideas thanks

is it inop on all bands or just one band?

cycle the band switch. they sometimes need the contacts cleaned

Beetle, there are only 3 tubes in the 101 radios, the 12by7a is the driver, and the 2 6js6c tubes are the finals in the PA.
Everything else is solid state.
Yes you need a Service Manual.
You can download a copy here, complements of the Fox Tango Group
http://www.foxtango.org/Manuals/FT-101_SVC_Manual.pdf
You need Adobe to open it, and it is a big download if you are on dial-up.

Jeff

Down towards the bottom of the manual is a whole section on trouble shooting,.

Looking at the service Manual,
: PB1183B is the low frequency IF unit.
This has the low frequency IF amp, crystal filter(s), detector and AGC/S meter circuitry.
My first thing to suspect is dry electrolytic caps, these are 40 year old radios, and caps simply do not have a service life that long.
Look for bulging/leaking caps to start.

Jeff

N/P Beetle, I have sometimers as well :D
I loved my 101`s when I had them, and made many many contacts with them.
Just like many radios these are suffering from old components, and first on the list for me is caps that dry out.
What was great about the 101`s was that if you had 2 radio`s and one quit board substitution will allow you to quickly swap a board and get it down real fast to were the problem is.
There is a guy on Ebay that used to sell a complete cap set for all of the 101`s to re-cap the whole radio, a very good idea for a radio that is 40+ years old.
Good Luck.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated