• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FWIW: TH-D72A vs. VX-8DR

AmateurHour

Feb 10, 2012
Basically Washington, DC
Just went through the decision cycle between these two radios and thought that I would share why I reached one conclusion instead of another.

First, thank you all for the input, particularly Moleculo. Hands down, WorldWideDX was the most useful forum in terms of making the best decision. So good that I just paid my $15 and recommend that you do the same.

What I Wanted

- Go-kit Usability: Radio for my BoB that could get out in a variety of different ways in the event of an emergency
- APRS: Opportunity to experiment, passively experience traffic
- Pairing: Options for a two-radio solution for my wife to have in her BoB
- Travel: Easy to drop into a carry-on for travel
- PC Compatibility: How easily can it connect to a PC and how much functionality will I get once I connect it

To evaluate the radios, I read both user manuals, a whole pile of reviews, watched a dozen YouTube videos, and did a side-by-side evaluation at HRO.

Go Kit
VX-8DR by a mile. More durable, two more bands for Tx, wider Rx, band scope, and frequency counter.

APRS
D72A here. No mistake about it, the D72A is an APRS radio with a number of functions not available on any other HT. The PC-accessible TNC is a nice add also, creating a radio that will see its functionality increase more significantly over time. Not too far away from a true iPad/HT solution.

Pairing
VX-8DR, but shouldn’t be this close. Getting the wife a VX-8GR so that I can track her down. This should be a clear win for Yaesu, but oddly, it isn’t. The programming software doesn’t match and many of the accessories don’t match. If it wasn’t for ARTS, it would be a flat toss-up

Travel
VX-8DR. Again, two additional bands offer greater reach. Also, the spectrum analyzer, Smart Search and Channel Counter features give you options for tracking down strong signals if you are in a new town without your repeater guide.

Also, the flexible 24-bank memory allows you 14 more possible tags for geo’s outside your home territory.

PC Compatibility
By a mile to the D72A. The accessible TNC means that you can actually do things with the radio when you are connected to a PC. Add in that it uses a USB cable, developers can create iPad/Droid applications that will further enhance the value of the solution.

Winner (With Exceptions)
For me, VX-8DR.

Although the VX-8DR is ostensibly the cheaper radio ($420 vs. $450), for apples-to-apples functionality, the Kenwood will always be less expensive for the same features. Integrated GPS (+$100), software and cable (+$60), and 1800mAh battery (+$20) put you into the $600 range to really get you into the same ballpark (depending upon how you price out 222 MHz and the 6 meter band)

Thank you all for the help. Have the radio along with the Mic, GPS, 1800 mAh battery, AAA battery case, software/cable, and an MH-510 antenna

AH

Reactions: 2 people

Interesting comparison analysis. I like how you thought through the criteria that was important to you and gave your own rating to each feature in that criteria. Documenting it for everyone will help someone else, as well.

I actually recently sold my VX-8R and replaced it with a TH-D72.

They are both great radios, but I prefer the TH-D72. Some of my thoughts:

* When typing a message on the TH-D72 the cursor automatically moves to the next space when you hit a different letter. It's still hard to type on, but way faster than the VX-8 where you have to hit a letter, then hit the key to take you to the next space, then hit another letter. I always hated that.

* The built-in TNC is great, because I like to mess with packet. A laptop, the TH-D72, and a USB cable are all you need for a full packet station!

* I don't like the GPS being mounted on top of the VX-8. It just looks weird and you have to remove it to attach the programming cable or mic.

* The VX-8 is submersible, but that's not big a deal for me. For some users that would be a big reason to go for the VX-8.

* The VX-8 is slimmer, which is nice.

You really can't go too wrong with either one though!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated