• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 959 why cant i get the big wattage

johnecashflo

Wish I Was Here
Mar 26, 2007
INDIANA
i have a 959 with the 1969 final in it ..i did all the mods that firebreather suggested at the other site ..is he getting the big numbers because he used a mosfet final radio??thanks

I have the same radio and tried the dual finl kit that I bought on eBay, and it didn't work either. I was told by the guy who sold it to me that some of these radios - the later single-final radio just won't take the mod.

Actually, I have the Ranger TR-696FD-1 - which is practically the same radio and takes all of the same mods. The best way to mod this radio is to use a 100 watt linear/modulator externally. Forget about any power mod internally. I did.

i have a 959 with the 1969 final in it ..i did all the mods that firebreather suggested at the other site ..is he getting the big numbers because he used a mosfet final radio??thanks

This is a Galaxy in name only and you will not see the numbers out of this thing as you will a 77,88 or 99. More or less all a 959 is, is a glorified cobra 148GTL!

Now, allow me to say something about those mods.

You are not going to see much more than a clean 20 watts out of these radios even with a 1969 final. Remember i said a clean 20 watts! All of these Cobra 29's and such that you see around with the "big Galaxy" final in them that are showing 40+ watts are nothing more than over modulated excessive harmonic spitting tuned to show big fake numbers on a Dosy meter radios, it's not true power. Stuff like that is done so that when you go to a CB shop and they show you what you want to see, you will gladly hand over your hard earned money to them!

You could do the same stuff to the 959 like mod kits,clipping the limiter and spreading the little copper coils in the rear of the radio to show you more power on the meter but that is all it will be doing.....showing you the numbers you want to see. You would be better off to tune the radio to be clean and then get yourself a small amp or buy a radio that can do the numbers you want with out mods and be done with it. Or you can do the same old Dosy mods to the 959 and then wonder why everyone says you sound like crap!

In the end it all comes down to what you want and how you want to sound.

By the way. There is a mod over on cb tricks.com in which you can do a duel mosfet mod ( or single ) to the radio that really does some good clean numbers but,it's not what some would call an easy mod.

This is a Galaxy in name only and you will not see the numbers out of this thing as you will a 77,88 or 99. More or less all a 959 is, is a glorified cobra 148GTL!
First off, you are wrong. the 959 is FAAAAARRRRR from a glorified 148. When properly tuned, this radio swings clean, clear and loud. the rec on it is second to none and it has the bells an whistles many people look for. The main circuit board is a 10 meter board, also. You will not see big numbers out of this radio, I agree with you. But it is an audio monster. I also agree with you that the best thing to do is to add a linear. I run my 959 into a Texas Star 250HDV. I dead key .5 watts from the radio and it swings to about 12 watts. This translates into a 50 watt deadkey out of the box, and a PeP reading of 250 watts. By far this is not the baddest rig on the block, but it does excellent, and most of the time I run with the linear off. You shouldn't knock a radio you don't have experience with, with all due respect.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for all the responses..i think i will just leave it be then.. it does have clean and clear audio and is plenty loud ..i know what you saying about over modulation that is the c.b. shop special around here..they give them a spatter box and tell them they have a 40 watt cobra and they do sound like sh!!..BTW if you drive a bigtruck dont use a power mic.. it really sound like sh!!..THANK FOR ALL THE HELP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.