• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 99

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
Can anything be done for the Galaxy 99's transmit tone and quality on SSB? I get reports of a high pitched audio with no lows. I have tried several mics. Also the radio seems to be hard to tune right on and drifts. I remember someone posting about some agc circuit modifications. The 99 transmits great on AM, but i want it to be usable on SSB.

Maybe you should good to cbtricks.com and look up the Galaxy 99 in the radios section, you can find all the info you need. Make sure the driver bias and the final bias are set correctly if not it could cause you to sound funky on ssb.

.......your modulation limiter has not been clipped has it?

three eyed jack said:
Can anything be done for the Galaxy 99's transmit tone and quality on SSB? I get reports of a high pitched audio with no lows. I have tried several mics. Also the radio seems to be hard to tune right on and drifts. I remember someone posting about some agc circuit modifications. The 99 transmits great on AM, but i want it to be usable on SSB.

what mics have your tryed?
The radios come complete with low-impedance (500 ohm) dynamic
microphone.
I worked on a 88 same inters and have used a Galaxy stock mic and a D104 minute man2 on it without a problem...

If your a SSB user then my advice is run run very far away from that thing the odds of getting one that doesnt warble are slim eventhough they are out there

three eyed jack said:

This typically happens when tweak shops cut the ALC or some mod shop has put in their Super Secret Mega Whooper.

Now your SSB audio sounds like crap but hey, your blowing smoke with that excessive flat-topping over distorted AM audio.

8)

I reinstalled the tr53 limiter and i have used the stock mike and a road king 56, an astatic noise cancelling mike, a barjan mike, an sbe mike, and several others. I do tear it up on AM and that's the only mode the 99 is good for. My Cobra 142 GTL works great on ssb and AM. Anyways I got my general ticket so I will be using my HF rig more than my CB rigs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.