• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX-2517 or RANGER RCI-2995 DX

ex-28

Oct 27, 2009
hi all looking at picking up either the Galaxy DX-2517 or RANGER RCI-2995 DX

just wondering what radio is newer ?
and what one would be better ?

i belive the RCI-2995 comes with the e-chip to open up the cb bands which i am verry interested in having

any help would be appreciated in helping me decide !

Those are two completely different radios. One does 40w and the other does 150w. So, it depends on if you plan on running an amp or not and how much that amp can handle. I have a 2517 (one of the last 1969 versions made), and I like it well enough. Clean audio and plenty stable.

actually they are almost identical boards, with the exception the 2995 has surface mount components and a built in boot. Same radio's one is a dinosaur, one is not.

I have the 2995DX and several locals have the 2517. Good comments above.

The 2995 has 6 digit freq. counter whereas the 17 only has 5 digit.

95 has LOTS more freqs, goes from 24~32mhz straight through.

95 has a cooling fan on the internal power supply that is loud. Too loud. But that can be modified to slow it down and quiet it down. See other recent thread in this forum about relatively easy fix for that.

If you end up wanting to choose the 2517, then take a look at the 2980WX. It's a better deal I think. It has a 6 digit freq. counter, the Weather channels and it also sells for around $50 less at most places for some reason.

Good luck

If SSB is what you talk most of the time the 2995dx would be the best buy. no need for an external amp to talk around the world with just using an antron 99 the 150 watts that radio produces smokes. if you get the 2995dx keep it out of the hands of the radio molesters and there cb i tricked you dot.com crap. keep it just as trhe factory does it with just maybe a light alignment to make sure all is on frequency and it will last forever.but if AM is your main mode of transmiting and you want that extra loud audio of a Galaxy then 2517 is the way to go. i have them both and use the 2995DX every day. more features more stable on SSB just turn it on and talk, the 2517 is a little drifty for the first 30 min when first turned on on SSB.to bad galaxy did not put a 6 diget freq. counter on the 2517 would be a big help on ssb with how much they drift. but the all around best radio in my opinion from owning both is the RCI 2995dx.

there is a lot of diffrence,

the 2517 is a glorified cb...the 2995 has 10 and 12 from thr facory if later you deciedeto up grade and get your ham lic.Spend a little more and get the 2995..73s de JW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated