1. Marconi is the winner of the December WDX CB Club DX Contest! Please Congratulate him here!

Galaxy DX 88HL no transmit? need help!!

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by StirStick, Nov 24, 2010.

1. StirStick

StirStick Member

:headbang I have a 1999 galaxy 88 hl, and the power wire came loose from the knob fried the strip on board from behind the s meter to almost the middle of the board down the left side of the radio. I fixed that now, it powers up, but wont transmit, when keyed up the needle moves to correct dead key on low and high power, RX, TX light changes but no sound is transmitted! Anyone have any ideas of what might help solve this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Robb

Robb Yup

The audio chip; but that is a guess . . .

3. StirStick

StirStick Member

Audio chip?

Can you specify?, just started working on my own stuff, still a worm! I would also like to find out where I can get a new freq. counter board. I got new leds for freq counter and channel display got the channel dis. changed out, but would rather start fresh with new board on freq. counter, some of the wire need to be resoldered any ways!

4. HomerBB

HomerBB Well-Known Member

Where did you work in the oil field?
    Hope you get your answer as I've got one some gave me that does the same thing, but doesn't hear, either.

5. StirStick

StirStick Member

Yeah sure do, what gave it away the worm comment? I love this old radio its great when I can keep my hands, or should I say soldering iron out of it! Before this screw up it was almost perfect!

6. HomerBB

Yep. The worm thing. I used to work the patch in Louisiana and Mississippi years ago.

I favor the 88 over all the galaxies, except, perhaps, the Pluto.

7. StirStick

StirStick Member

No Answers?

Man..... I bet if I took my 3300 HP and stuck in my pick-up, and ask for some help, I would probably have about 100 to 150 professional cb techs/steering wheel holders fighting over who could give me the right answer! :D

8. StirStick

StirStick Member

Hey, if you wanna sell the 88 you have let me know I'll buy it from ya quick, fast and in a hurry!!:pop:

9. HomerBB

i'll hang on to this one.

10. jazzsinger

jazzsinger Bullshit Buster

I'd be checking voltages on IC4 (njm4558d) (ic voltage chart here : http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx88hl/dx88hl_icvolt_chart.htm ) the mike preamp if all modes show no tx audio and if you have tx audio on fm or ssb i'd be looking at tr51 (2sb754) (common failure) and checking the voltages there,

if that checks out tr 50 (2sa473) and tr49 (2sc945) would be my next port of call.

block diagran shows what the voltages should roughly be for each mode.
    http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx88hl/graphics/88hl_block.gif

with more info it would be easier for others to help you, no tx audio doesn't say much,whereas no tx audio on a specific or all modes narrows things down a bit.

11. kwikstang1

kwikstang1 Member

Last poster has it. Big 3 legged transistor mounted to the side of the radio near the back. Replace it and you will have tx power. When it shorts, it will show the symptoms you state. 2sb754.
    Here's a link for a new frequency board...freq bd for gal 88 pg 41-H&Y Electronics

12. kwikstang1

kwikstang1 Member

typed faster than brain was thinking..... You already have tx power, but no modulation. The rest of the statement applies.....Change TR51 and you should be good.

13. StirStick

StirStick Member

I appreciate the help! Got it fixed, the gas tank was to close to the carberator:bdh: Is that link for the freq counter board, I need the board that holds the 5 leds & 6 push buttons! Thanks again for the help(y)

14. collier

collier Member

you got that stright. about you'r connex.
    everybody know's about it [but]
    nobody know's how to fix it