• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy dx 95t / ranger rci 2970 dx

skip searcher

Nov 17, 2006
IRELAND
ive been thinking about 2 radios with a view of purchasing one the galaxy dx 95 t are there any operators using this radio is it possible to turn the echo of completely as im no fan of echo especially while talking on ssb the radio also if any operators can give me a report on the radio as coverage it seems to have 8 sets of 40 A-H with 40 on each set also power as ive heard different versions of the true output power on am and ssb ive priced this radio at maycom in stevensville michigan at $388.00 which is a lot cheaper than some radio shops the second radio is the ranger rci 2970 dx i already run a 2950 dx and like the scan facility and overall use no complaints about this radio which i purchased from copper last year one thing it lacks power with only 25 watts on ssb i need to use a foot kicker to speak across the pond stateside on 11 metres when we eventually get some conditions the ranger 2970 at maycom is over $420.00 retail before the conversion which will be another $30.00 so all in $450.00 which is far to high to pay copper has a good price on this radio of $359.00 before conversion which is far more realistic price so im swaying to the galaxy if any operators would be able to give some advice on choice and if the echo can be switched of perminant many thanks wj 450 29 division

undertaker said:
2970 dx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! galaxy will drift on ssb ranger will not...

I have had the same experience, I agree with Undertaker,,,,,,,,,,,,, YIKES DID I JUST TYPE THAT!!!!

I must have got a good galaxy. After the inital warm up it has no noticable drift. Yes Skip, the echo on the 95T can be turned completely off. My locals around here cant tell the difference between my 95T and my DX-70 on SSB. Never been around a 2970 so I cant comment on them besides saying they will also drift during the initial warmup.

Almost all radio`s require time to stablize when first turned on. If you look in most service manuals they will tell you to turn on the rig and allow it to run for a fixxed amount of time before doing an alignment on the RX/TX.

Jeff

well given i do not use my 2970 DX anymore
i have no idea where i put the manual

so i emailed ranger directly to put a end to the uncertinty on this matter..

regardless
i know it is a decent working radio
most notable is a very poor recieve verses top quality radios

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
well given i do not use my 2970 DX anymore
i have no idea where i put the manual

so i emailed ranger directly to put a end to the uncertinty on this matter..

regardless
i know it is a decent working radio
most notable is a very poor recieve verses top quality radios

Purchase price please shipped to Illinois? 8)

I love my 95T and it does not drift abit on SSB. Not a better looking Export out there as far as I see it.

well got the reply from ranger
i asked what the Biasing was in regards to SSB
they replied that it is A biased

Hello,
It is a class A.
Thanks,

Anna Sparks
Ranger Communications

----- Original Message -----
To: <sales@rangerusa.com>; <techsupport@rangerusa.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:09 PM
Subject: RCI 2970 DX

> Hi...
>
> I have had for a couple of years the RCI 2970 DX
>
> It is a decent little radio
>
> could you tell me however
> when transmitting on SSB
> what is the biasing of the radio
>
> is it AB1 , B or C class Biasing
> when one talks on SSB
>
> i am simply curious as to how clean the finals
> transmitt
> when being used in SSB mode
>
> I emailed this question before a couple of months ago
> but whoever answered the email had no idea what i was
> asking or talking about
>
> Thanks

I doubt it is A Biased
is more likly AB1 biased

i could have swarn that in the manual somewhere
showed it as B biased

anyways
that was what ranger said

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.